My first Charity cook planning

Thatgrimguy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm getting my Shirley the end of this month and have my first Charity cook scheduled for a week later. I'm going to be selling sandwiches on a large parade route. My goal is to sell 300 plates at $5 each. That will put us at $1500 in sales and after my goal of $500 spent on meat and supplies will net the charity $1,000. (well actually the meat is being paid for by a sponsor so the charity will get everything but I want to make sure we are getting a good ROI on the sponsor's investment)

My Plan is to sell sandwiches only, no sides. Handed out wrapped in a piece of butcher paper to keep it simple.

Menu: All Items 5$
Pulled pork Sandwich - 12 butts?
Pulled Chicken Sandwich - 40lbs of boneless/skinless thighs?
Smoked Sausage Dog -40lb of sausage?
2 Drinks - drinks will be donated by Coca-Cola or Pepsi

ANY advice is helpful. I've never cooked for money and I've never cooked more than 5 butts at once (that was on an xl green egg)

Last edited:
just make sure your permits are in order and you are legal is all I have...

whenever we sell to the public the law wants to know about it

Got that part covered! All permits are in place! Location is approved and they said have fun!

Do my amounts of meat look right to you?

You are about right if you figure 3 to 4 ounces of meat per pork or chicken sandwich, and the sausages.

Looking at food prices. I may be better off dropping the sausage and just doing more pork/chicken. Much better ROI. Maybe 15 butts and 80lbs boneless thighs. That would give me 200lbs of raw and should net me over 100lbs of cooked. That'll put me around $250 on the actual meat and I can probably get the buns and sauce donated.

If you want to make it simple, get the paper boats from Sam's. No wrapping involved.

That's a good point. I'll do that. Just leave napkins on a table with sauce? At something like this I may just give them the sandwich and let them figure it out. My average customer will be three sheets to the wind.

Back