How much sauce do you go through?

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
for those who own/ worked at BBQ restaurants, how much sauce would you go through in a day/month/etc ? I've got a family member opening up a restaurant and he wants to use Yes,dear sauce in the tables. He's going to have 30 tables and is planning on 300 tables a day during the summer months and less in the fall/winter.

Thanks for any help!
Chad

As much as I can make...

Yep, right here in good ol Texas people eat sauce.

I don't keep it out in bottles or in a soup warmer. We ask "would you like sauce"? They get a 2oz souffle cup of sauce. easily 2-3 gallons per day and my numbers trending up for plates served, meat sold and sauce used. All sauce made fresh, in house.

YMMV

As much as I can make...

Yep, right here in good ol Texas people eat sauce.

I don't keep it out in bottles or in a soup warmer. We ask "would you like sauce"? They get a 2oz souffle cup of sauce. easily 2-3 gallons per day and my numbers trending up for plates served, meat sold and sauce used. All sauce made fresh, in house.

YMMV

How big of a place is it (how many tables)?

A friend of mine had a place that had 8 tables, but, he did a lot of carry out. He ran through 5 gallons a day, give or take a quart. He also portioned out using the little cups for carry out, and for eat in, he used the little metal cups.

A friend of mine had a place that had 8 tables, but, he did a lot of carry out. He ran through 5 gallons a day, give or take a quart. He also portioned out using the little cups for carry out, and for eat in, he used the little metal cups.

I'm beginning to think we're seriously underestimating the amount of sauce he's gonna need.

Note that I am in California, where sauce is generally king.

And many folks will ask for and pay for more sauce, ridiculous amounts of sauce. Popular places often end up selling quarts of sauce alone, no meat. I think it was Phat Matt's out here that had to stop selling quarts, as they couldn't keep up with the demand from their small stove.

however, if you figure 300 covers at 2 ounces per order, you are looking at 600 ounces, that is 5 gallons round numbers

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
The only thing that might save me is that he's only planning on doing certain BBQ items on an otherwise 'southern' menu, so the thought was that he won't go through quite as much.

When selling concessions we go through an average of 4 gallons in a lunch service from 11am-3pm. I only sell concessions 5-8 times a year now as we mostly cater. If I had a restaurant open day and night I'd guestimate 6-8 gallons per day.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
Other than the storage factor, one of the beauties of sauce, and why you should never be short, is that it stores easily, actually improves with a day or two of storage, and is easily made. Unless there is a premium on refrigerator space, this is one of those things that ends up being a distraction to running a good kitchen. Not everything has to be made 'day of'.

Other than the storage factor, one of the beauties of sauce, and why you should never be short, is that it stores easily, actually improves with a day or two of storage, and is easily made. Unless there is a premium on refrigerator space, this is one of those things that ends up being a distraction to running a good kitchen. Not everything has to be made 'day of'.

Well, we're having it bottled in gallons and sent up to him, sooooo it may be an issue. If he does end up going through a ton, we'll have to look into him making it in house.

A friend used to work for Lee Kum Kee, he worked on getting their sauces into 2.5 gallon bottles and 3 liter dispenser packs in boxes. It was the best thing for restaurants in that you just put the box on a shelf, open the spout and you had sauces ready to go. Ruined Chinese food though, all Chihese food tastes the same now.

Back