San Antonio TX upcoming trip advise please

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Good day all,
I have an up incoming work trip coming up Jan 25-29. For those who have been there or may live there can I get some advice on;
- Places to eat
- stores that have good BBQ supplies (rubs, sauces, equipment ect.)
- attraction or must see's

Good day all,
I have an up incoming work trip coming up Jan 25-29. For those who have been there or may live there can I get some advice on;
- Places to eat
- stores that have good BBQ supplies (rubs, sauces, equipment ect.)
- attraction or must see's

I live in SA. Mi Tierra is an SA favorite.... If you like Mexican food. Go to the river walk for sure. Are you bringing your family? Go checkout seaworld or fiesta Texas. But those are all day activities. The Alamo right by river center mall. Chris madrids is a burger place that's been on that "man vs food". I think there's another burger joint that was on that show. Think it was called cunkys. But I've never been. If you go to the river walk there are tons of restaurants down there. Hope that helps.

My company I work for booked my room next to the river walk.

We lived in San Antonio for a while, and visit often. The Alamo is a must stop. The river walk is nice but many of the restaurants are overpriced and not top cuisine. There are many missions worth a visit.

You have to pig out on Mexican food in SA. My three favorites are La Fonda (on main), Rosario's, and Ernesto's.

Have to have a BBQ fix? Go to the Big Bib or Rudy's.

Pappadeaux's is the place to go for reasonable seafood.

The place to go for Chinese is the Sichuan. Always wonderful.

There are more than 4,000 restaurants in SA, so it is not hard to find good food.

We lived in San Antonio for a while, and visit often. The Alamo is a must stop. The river walk is nice but many of the restaurants are overpriced and not top cuisine. There are many missions worth a visit.

You have to pig out on Mexican food in SA. My three favorites are La Fonda (on main), Rosario's, and Ernesto's.

Have to have a BBQ fix? Go to the Big Bib or Rudy's.

Pappadeaux's is the place to go for reasonable seafood.

The place to go for Chinese is the Sichuan. Always wonderful.

There are more than 4,000 restaurants in SA, so it is not hard to find good food.

You ain't lying about the river walk restaurants. I ain't never never been. Especially with 4 kids. No thank you.

San Antonio is known more for Tex-Mex that it is for BBQ.... There are many good Tex-Mex Restaurants throughout the city with really awesome food.

The riverwalk is a great place to relax and sight see on the boats. Don't buy a plain tour ticket, which allows you to get on and off the boat ONE TIME. Instead ask for the ticket that allows you to get on and off as many times as you wish. This lets you get off and shop, eat, or look around, and then get back on in either direction all day long. If you like photography, there are many great places for nature photos along the riverwalk.

The Alamo, as others mentioned, is an impressive walk around the grounds and through the buildings.

When I was there two years ago, I ate at Conger's Smoke Shack on the edge of town for lunch, it was awesome. They serve lunch until sold out, they didn't do dinner. Rudy's Northwest of the city was also good, not great, but good. Also on the outskirts of town on the outer-loop (410), are a lot of great steakhouses.

As far as BBQ Items, the HEB store on Nacogdoches road near the outer-loop (410), had everything..., but be careful, not all HEB store are identical, they can pick and choose what they wish to carry.

Also to add my company is paying dinner meals up to $40 per person. $18 lunch per person and $15 per person for breakfast.

BBQ seasonings, rubs and spices, you need to go to Bolner's, 2900 S Flores St, San Antonio, TX 78204. It's a meat market as well, but there's a whole wall of spices in this place that will make you want to get one of each. There's another Bolner's that is the warehouse, not sure if it's open to public or not. 426 Menchaca San Antonio Texas 78207. Their pinto bean seasoning, bbq rubs, steak rubs are the best. Best places to eat are NOT on the Riverwalk, although everybody goes. Locals usually don't go eat on the Riverwalk. Mi Tierra is good for breakfasts, the sister restaurant, La Margarita, is better for evening meals imho. Tito's in King William is good, it's right down the street from Rosario's. Seafood I'd rather go to Sea Island, it's a local chain and been in business for I don't know how long. Steak; Morton's is at RiverCenter, Ruth's Chris is in new digs at the Hyatt Place, or my favorite, Bohanon's. Pricey, but oh so good, get to choose your steaks at your table, duck fat fried French fries, my heart races when I think about it

Kung fu Noodle, Chinese hand pulled noodles (lamb noodle soup is the best) (rated one of the 10 best dishes of 2015 by Express News). Ask for it hot, with a big glass of ice water.

Rudy's, Leon Springs location ( the original ), for BBQ (ask for the moist brisket)

Check out the ( Pearl ) couple good spots there

Nama Ramen (get the tonkatsu) don't screw with any of the other ramen. They have some decent types of cali rolls there if you like that

and $40 dinners, I like "Bliss". Though me and my wife walk out about $120 lighter with tip

Yes I'll have a rental car also will have another co worker with me.

If you have a rental car and the time, take a trip northeast to New Braunfels for Coopers, and Lockhart for the classics Smitty's, Kreuz Market, and Blacks.

Your possibilities are endless......

MadMan is right on. The Alamo and the River Walk are really great. Awesome scenery and wonderful restaurants.

Just remember, if you ask for a BBQ plate, it ain't real BBQ. It's some kind cow that's had some sauce put on it and warmed on a grill. If you want real BBQ, you'll have to come to the Carolinas.

Just remember, if you ask for a BBQ plate, it ain't real BBQ. It's some kind cow that's had some sauce put on it and warmed on a grill. If you want real BBQ, you'll have to come to the Carolinas.

I'm pretty sure he don't want VinegarQ. :doh: He wants real Texas beef. Grab 'em by the horn, pat 'em on the arse, thrown 'em on the grill. :thumb:

:heh: :heh: :heh: :heh:

Back