Gaborone , Botswana (Africa!)

MickeyBlue42

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Well Im based in Gaborone, Botswana. The country home to 1/4 of the worlds diamond supply and the famous Okavango Delta :)

Down this neck of the woods, or desert should I say, most people have a braai! Cooking over direct heat with wood,charcoal or briquettes.

Currently I do the above or more often I do the souvla braai (spent many years with Greek people).

I have one friend here in Gabs with the Big Green Egg who is married to an American lady. Other then him, smoking does not really exist here!

Im currently reading through Franklin Barbeque by Aaron Franklin to gain a better understanding of the culture and the process.

At this stage I was considering a UDS setup but after I complete the book and sniff around the site I might think otherwise... I have a close friend who owns a steel fabrication company so I can pretty much get anything made up within reason for the wholesale material cost and a small labour cost :twisted:

I think one thing that everyone will enjoy is that I will try and post from time to time some meat pics aswell as what we pay this side. Grass Fed Botswana Beef Brisket can be had for as little as $3.50 per KG! I will however have to go through some growing pains asking my butcher for specific cuts as nobody smokes whole briskets or pork butt's here.

Sorry for the long intro, I hope to meet some new people and learn something new on this site as I love to cook and explore new food.

Any questions welcome :biggrin1:

Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Welcome, Mickey!

It's always nice to see folks from "Far afield" on here and share in your experiences.

We're suckers for pictures if you can post 'em (and we'll help if you're having trouble). Ask most anything you want in Qtalk and folks are very helpful.

The Roadmap in the QTalk sticky section should keep you busy reading all sorts of good stuff for a few weeks (if you're like me)!

Kind regards from NE Indiana and Okinawa, Japan!

Welcome to the forum MickeyBlue42, glad to have you join us and hopefully take part in the other forums. Don't give up on the UDS just yet, it's a great entry level smoker until you decide exactly what you want from a fabricated unit.

You'll find a great group of people here with a willingness to help and guide you, regardless of of how simple or how complicated you think your question may be. You'll also find that there are many ways to achieve great food, there is no single "cookie cutter" method as some have been conditioned to think. You'll just have to try a few different methods and soon you'll master the way that works best for you.

We'll be here to guide you and answer your questions as you begin your journey into smoking and BBQ. Pretty soon you'll go from asking questions to posting pictures of your progress, and we will all share in your experience as true Brethren.

We have many different forums here.... Below are just a few of them.

For discussion on BBQ/Smoking related topics, we have the "Q-Talk" Forum. This is a good starting point for all new Brethren.

For general non BBQ related talk we also have "The Wood Pile" forum.

I hope to see you in the "Q-Talk" forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about a specific topic, just start a new thread in the related forum.

There are many members with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and share their knowledge to guide you in the right direction. Collectively there is a wealth of experience and knowledge among the membership, including you. Don't be afraid to jump in there and share your knowledge and your experiences as well.

Thanks guys !

I appreciate the warm welcome :-D

Very cool. Welcome to the site. You will find more information on the culture of BBQ here than anywhere in the World!

Welcome to the Brethren!! There is a wealth of knowledge and experience amung the members. If you have a BBQ or cooking related obsession or hobby this is the place to be. Sit back, soak up the knowledge and jump in there and be sure to share yours as well. If you can't find or get an answer to the question here then there is probably not an answer available.

Back