Trail Embers Triple Function Smoker (WSM knockoff) $199

It looks pretty cool. Has some options that I wish the WSM came with... like the hinged lid and clamps to hold the sections together for transport.

Two stars and not significantly cheaper than the WSM. I'd say Weber all the way.

I saw one assembled at TSC a week or so ago.It is interesting.I,like you,like some of the added bells and whistles.I opened it up and moved it around.Seemed pretty lightweight and cheaply made to me.I passed and I will buy a new cooker in a second if it is something different,that I do not have.

After sealing the stainless steel doors and a seal around the bottom it holds temps very well. I added a party Q and it routinely holds 225 for 18 hours on about 17lb of KBB. I did omit their water pan and went with a smaller aluminum pan. I probed both levels and this holds even temps throughout. Hinge and stainless steel doors and hardware set this apart from the WSM. I am curious to see its longevity. Seems to be the same thickness as the WSM but not ceramic coated. But a also paid less than listed on a end of season closeout. I own three of these and so far so good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

With the party Q and the lava seal I still have less than 300 in them.
13b590c8464be85be8b69b6446c1e311.jpg
26a6225b71e3fb9c4b57b5ad48d467c4.jpg
1194dc185123f31d971e5070989882c4.jpg

After sealing the stainless steel doors and a seal around the bottom it holds temps very well. I added a party Q and it routinely holds 225 for 18 hours on about 17lb of KBB. I did omit their water pan and went with a smaller aluminum pan. I probed both levels and this holds even temps throughout. Hinge and stainless steel doors and hardware set this apart from the WSM. I am curious to see its longevity. Seems to be the same thickness as the WSM but not ceramic coated. But a also paid less than listed on a end of season closeout. I own three of these and so far so good.

Nice to see a real first person review by an owner. Carries far more weight than " I saw it in the store". Thanks.

TS has 20% off all grills through the 18th.

Can't beat $99. Wife just brought one home as a father's days gift. Sucker has some weight to it, 80lbs, im suprised she got it in the car by herself.

I just saw that $99 deal myself, and I may have to spring for one myself.

@ $99 , I finally had to bite my lip and fork over for a DigiQ DX2.

I'm a Weber junkie, and will defend their higher prices for the quality, R&D, and unparalleled customer service. That said, I've never paid close to full price for any of my Weber junk.

I just recently got a 14" WSM, and was impressed by the minor amount of fuel used to smoke a butt to perfection (My only cook on it so far).

If I can find a Tractor supply nearby, I'll pick up one of these for a hundy! No brainer!

Special thanks to "ericandcandi" for the invaluable insight and photos, without which I would never even consider a knock-off WSM.

Didn't TSC have a 20% off sale going on also right now?

EDIT:....they do but this is the sales price i believe.

How did it run before you did the seals and atc?

I haven't run mine yet since im waiting for the lavalock gasket roll to get here but i can tell you that after putting mine together, it would leak like a seive without the seals. The doors are decently thick stainless steel but didn't hug tight against the barrel. I don't know if the door was slightly off or the barrel because the rim on the base is a good 1/4-1/2 inch wider the the lip on the barrel. Other then that it looks like it should hold up for a few years with light to medium use and garage kept.

I would not run this without seals on the lid, base, and doors.

Heads up. The 15ft roll of Lavalock is not enough to seal both doors and both top lid and bottom base. Just one door and top lid took 9ft of the 15ft roll i bought on Amazon. Kinda pissed right about now, there goes my weekend cook, i hope the bottom base doesnt leak like crazy.

Back