Costco Prime Brisket

I understand there are ways to use the fat... but losing 38% of a brisket to trimming, is crazy.

I understand there are ways to use the fat... but losing 38% of a brisket to trimming, is crazy.

Yeah, some have been pretty ridiculous, but most have been more reasonable for me. I get them because they are the best source for briskets in my area and I dont want another membership. However, my mom has a sams membership, and I think Ill be tagging along next time just to try out a select for comparison.

Did you notice any difference in flavor between the two grades?

GFS was Choice. COSTCO was prime. I preferred the Choice, but admittedly the Prime was not cooked well.

GFS requires no membership. I will try another Prime from Costco, but if I have the same results, I'm out. This Choice is pretty damn great.

I've smoked a few dozen Costco prime briskets, never had excessive fat to be trimmed. 38% fat would reduce the bulk of the brisket to less than half, fat weights light you know...

Sure there is additional fat between the point and flat, prime is extra marbling but extra fat elsewhere too. Sam's choice grade are very good, about the same amount of trimming as Costco's but the prime beats the choice - every time. Cooking for groups I measure shrinkage and its not just bacon/pork belly that loses from the package to the table!

Pork loin, chicken breast and sirloin if your trying to advoid shrinkage - l like ribeye :)

Back