• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Baby Backs - When to pull to get the perfect bite?

DustyRoadBBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
In my last cook, I tried to get my ribs to have a perfect bite, not overcooked fall off the bone, but a clean bite with a clean pull off the bone. I've always used the bend test and then looked for the top surface of meat to crack at the bend. In this last cook I pulled them a little earlier (just the starting of cracking on the surface), and they had a little tug off the bone.

I've been dabbling in video of my last few cooks, so this video shows this particular cook and when I pulled them off. The video is about 13min long, so if you want skip towards the end to find where I pulled them off.

Video link: [ame]https://youtu.be/mdSIPTE0beM[/ame]

What do you look for to get the doneness? What could I have done better?

I probably should have listened to my own advice, but everyone was getting hungry for dinner. I already know this lesson, but BBQ is done when it's done:-D.

Thanks for the feedback!

Have you tried the toothpick between the bones test?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the video!

I usually go by toothpick test because the butcher here includes the tip where each bone bulge up and held together by cartilage. That part just does not want to bend. Still, the bend sensation is there. Hard to explain but it's like it WANTS to bend but only being held back by the cartilage. Once served it made us have to use knife somewhat because it's not that easy to pull apart. Possible but could be messy.

If they remove this part it will be identical to what you guys get in the US I think.
zQAyaaE.jpg

Would butcher paper be as good when wrapping for color?

Last edited:
Nice video but that shirt must to burned GO BUCKS lol

Thanks guys. Love the feedback (even from fanatics with alternate team affiliations).

I will try the toothpick test next time. That just gives me another reason to cook ribs again (got to try out a new technique). Ha Ha.

I have never had the bend test work for me. By the time the rack will bend like many people post, they are over done, for us. When a toothpick goes in and out smoothly, they are at the point that you can take an easy bite out of them without them falling off the bone.

I'm a barbarian who is fine with fall off the bone. As long as I can get them off without falling apart, I'm happy.

I use the toothpick test as well. It may take a few times until you figure out the right feel, but from then on it never fails.

Holy Hell, Batman......you have a trek from yer pit to the hacienda.

Lazy griller, here, lol.

Pulling them on the front side of "done" is what I did last time for my family.

Negative comments ensued.

My tribe like them falling-off-the bone and doesn't give a rat's arse about KCBS judges opinions.

Grateful griller, here, as that gives me more latitude on my results.

Thanks for the video!

I usually go by toothpick test because the butcher here includes the tip where each bone bulge up and held together by cartilage. That part just does not want to bend. Still, the bend sensation is there. Hard to explain but it's like it WANTS to bend but only being held back by the cartilage. Once served it made us have to use knife somewhat because it's not that easy to pull apart. Possible but could be messy.

If they remove this part it will be identical to what you guys get in the US I think.
zQAyaaE.jpg

Would butcher paper be as good when wrapping for color?
Those are not baby backs. Those are what are sold here as whole spare ribs, which are the ones I prefer. The tooth pick test works quite well on them, while the bend test results in overcooked ribs, in my opinion, since they need to get to the fall off the bone stage before they will bend.

I'm a bend test coupled with the toothpick test kinda guy. Both work just fine for me and my guests never complain.

Very nicely done video DustyRoadBBQ. Kudos to ya!

Good video--I appreciate the effort! I'm a bend test guy that is in the process of converting to toothpick.

As far as when is it done, I'm finding that folks who don't know how a rib is "supposed" to bite almost always want fall off the bone ribs. Makes me wonder if I'm just a BBQ snob for insisting that's overdone, even though most people prefer it that way. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. Just gotta know who you're cooking for.

IMO, if rib meat falls off the bone it is overdone. After 3 hours at 250-275*, I usually have the start of a good bend. At this point, I sauce/glaze them twice at 15 minutes each time. After this, they have a great flavor, great moisture and the slight tug that I like.

I never wrap my ribs. I personally think that wrapping is a crap shoot and they can over cook really quick.

Back