• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

8lb Pork Butt Hot and Fast

ice_mf_mike

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Doing a 8lb Pork Butt on my WSM today. Plan to do it hot and fast. Im thinking around 325 today but will see where the smoker settles in. I have the butt dry brining since yesterday.

Im going to give it ALOT of smoke. Thinking Hickory and cherry. I have yet to experience too much smoke and since im going hot and fast i figure i can go heavy.

Dont plan to wrap, will spritz with apple cider vinegar after about 3 hours on every hour or so. Once its over 185ish internal i will start checking for probe tenderness.

Im thinking it will take ~7 hours?
Pics to come. :-D

Rubbed and ready. Only hitch is one of my probes died. So i can only track temp of the smoker. Wont be able to remotely track temp of the butt... so i will go by time. Will first check it about 3-4 hours in.

UVaQViv.jpg

Don't sweat the IT. I think 4 hours is a good time to check it. Bone wiggle test works best for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have never cooked a butt hot and fast without wrapping. Let us know how it goes!

185 is way too low for a hot and fast butt. Mine finish at 205 - 210 regularly. I cook on the grate until I get the bark color that I want, foil, and then cook until tender. The only reason I know the temp is that I use my Thermapen as my probe.

Whether I cook hot-n-fast (~300-325) or low-n-slow (225) I've never had a butt finish near 185-200. Mine generally finish, i.e. probe tender, at between 203-205 every time. I don't wrap or spritz.

I used to start my probing at 185-190, but found that way too low a temp for my tastes. With temps in the 203-205 range the bone pulls easily and cleanly.

Just my experiences with butts. I hope your cook is every bit as tender and tasty as you anticipate. Looking forward to the finished pics!

i dont plan to pull it off the the smoker at 185. Thats simply when i will start checking it. typically mine end up tender around 200 as well.

Smoker has settled in at ~310 today so going to let it ride at this temp.

I did one yesterday 8 1/2 lb. 300-325 wrapped @ 160 @ 4 hrs. Done in 5hrs@ 205. Pulled like Buttah. This was my first cook on a WSM. Just picked up a 22.5 brand new in the box off cragslist for $250. No it wasn't stolen, Guy had the original recipe. He just decided he was never going to use it. SCORE

I did one yesterday 8 1/2 lb. 300-325 wrapped @ 160 @ 4 hrs. Done in 5hrs@ 205. Pulled like Buttah. This was my first cook on a WSM. Just picked up a 22.5 brand new in the box off cragslist for $250. No it wasn't stolen, Guy had the original recipe. He just decided he was never going to use it. SCORE

Is that 9 hours total, or 5 hours total?

Yeah I agree, I put it on at 7Am at 11 am I put it in a aluminum pan with some apple juice and apple cider vinegar and covered the pan with foil. My Maverick set at 205 went off at noon. Let it rest 2 hrs and pulled. Stuck in the freezer for 1 1/2 hrs to chill it down. rewrapped it and will heat in oven today to serve @ 4 PM.

good to know. Ill keep an eye on it after the 4 hour mark. Im not wrapping so i assume it will not jump as fast.

I have done hot and fast @ 300-325. Seems to me you power through the stall and cook quicker than expected. Take it to 200 for sure. In cover and air to cool slightly to reduce carry over then into cooler couple of hours

Your actual mileage may vary. Good luck

All "butts" aside

I Like your blending of the smoke woods.
I use hickory-Mesquite-??
The third can be what I have on hand.

~4 hours in. Temp in most of it is 160ish. A few spots on one side were around 180. So i rotated it. sprayed with apple cider vinegar and will check it again in an hour.

8vpPrCv.jpg

Looks good so far. Just curious if anyone who has done these both "Hot and Fast" (325+) and "Low and Slow" (225ish) has ever noticed a difference in quality (taste, tenderness, moisture, bark)? I always do mine somewhere in between at about 275...usually takes me about an hour per pound at this temp and the final product is always top notch.

I have done both and the only real difference I've noticed is that 225 takes to long and I'll wrap to help speed up the process and lose my bark texture. Hot and fast is the way to go especially on pork butts. I've cooked them past 215 on accident and they still turn out great.

About 1/3rd is probe tender and 2/3rd still not yet. 198 in the probe tender part. 186 in the not probe tender part. Will check it again in 30 mins. Been 5.5 hours so far.

ARgx9nZ.jpg

about 6.5 hrs in. most of it is probe tender except the middle near the bone. Temp in probe tender areas range from 195-202. closer to 190 in the non tender spots. On for 30 more minutes.

Back