Sat-Sun Comps

P

pharp

It would be awesome if there were more Saturday-Sunday competitions!

not sure what you mean, are all your comps on Fridays? In the Northeast we have Saturday NEBS and Sunday KCBS!

not sure what you mean, are all your comps on Fridays? In the Northeast we have Saturday NEBS and Sunday KCBS!

Yeah, I am in Arkansas. Almost every KCBS competition within driving distance culminates on a Saturday. There are a couple on Sunday, but probably less than 5 total that I could drive to in a day.

I did a Saturday-Sunday comp last year that was a Friday-Saturday the year prior and did well, it struggled severely not only in teams but in spectators as well. Sunday was basically a congragation of cook teams waiting for awards and to get on the road home. This year when it went back on the schedule it was back to a Friday-Saturday date.

I know personally it is much easier for me to take 2/3 of Friday off and to be rested Monday morning ready to hit it hard. If I am packed up on Saturday night, get up Sunday morning, have breakfast and get on the road I am useally still home by 3 PM at the latest, unload, have a nice dinner and I am rested Monday morning. If it is a Saturday-Sunday it can be midnight or later when I get back and Monday is a disaster.

I did a Saturday-Sunday comp last year that was a Friday-Saturday the year prior and did well, it struggled severely not only in teams but in spectators as well. Sunday was basically a congragation of cook teams waiting for awards and to get on the road home. This year when it went back on the schedule it was back to a Friday-Saturday date.

I know personally it is much easier for me to take 2/3 of Friday off and to be rested Monday morning ready to hit it hard. If I am packed up on Saturday night, get up Sunday morning, have breakfast and get on the road I am useally still home by 3 PM at the latest, unload, have a nice dinner and I am rested Monday morning. If it is a Saturday-Sunday it can be midnight or later when I get back and Monday is a disaster.

I can appreciate that for sure. I just changed from a job with a ton of vacation time that I could take whenever to one that is much more restrictive. I can't justify not taking my family on vacation because I used my sparse vacation days! I am hoping that there will be more of the "Day 1 (Sat) Day 2 (Sun) competitions, those are the best of both worlds!

I guess we've just gotten used to (and even come to enjoy in a perverse way) the Saturday ritual of finding some good local Chinese food after the comp, dragging into the house exhausted, quickly unloading the coolers, showering off several layers of charcoal and hickory, and crashing from like 7 P.M.-7 A.M. with all of Sunday left to recharge.

I guess we've just gotten used to (and even come to enjoy in a perverse way) the Saturday ritual of finding some good local Chinese food after the comp, dragging into the house exhausted, quickly unloading the coolers, showering off several layers of charcoal and hickory, and crashing from like 7 P.M.-7 A.M. with all of Sunday left to recharge.

Subway after comps for me!

I have a solution. Four day work weeks!

animal_house-speech_2_zps9f3xg3xw.jpg

The northeast is almost all Saturday-Sunday, and I prefer it that way. I couldn't cook 20+ a year with Friday-Saturday comps only. Don't people have jobs? :becky:

The northeast is almost all Saturday-Sunday, and I prefer it that way. I couldn't cook 20+ a year with Friday-Saturday comps only. Don't people have jobs? :becky:

Maybe I should move up there lol!

I agree with this I almost have to take the Monday off work otherwise it affects my energy level the rest of the week... I like to have a rest day after comps before going back to work.

Back