Smoking turkey on a UDS.

SmokeGut

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I plan on smoking a turkey Thursday for the first time. I have a UDS. I am following the method from the video below. Since I have a UDS wont the turkey drip down into the charcoal basket and cause flare-ups? What should I do? Would love to hear some suggestions. Thanks all.

[ame]http://youtu.be/WRugPlATCN0[/ame]

I'm doing a Turducken and am using a clay pot diffuser wrapped in aluminum foil. The diffuser works really well at preventing flare ups.

I'm doing a Turducken and am using a clay pot diffuser wrapped in aluminum foil. The diffuser works really well at preventing flare ups.

Are you using a UDS? Can you show me what a clay pot diffuser is and how it works? Thanks!

Buy a cheap turkey aluminum roasting pan, about .50 cents. bend down the side edges, cover with foil and don't allow the foil to hit/rest on the bottom of the pan. Put that on any grate lower/under your bird. It will take more airflow to get to around the 315-350 degree mark. I use either apple or cherry wood.

As simple as it sounds, I take a piece of tinfoil big enough to cover the top of the charcoal basket and poke a bunch of small holes in it. The I just place it over the charcoal basket. This allows the bird to cook evenly...without the hot spot in the middle of the cooking grate while also allowing the drippings to get down to the coals which allows for a really nice flavor to develop in the bird. Easy peasy.....

You can use a drip pan underneath to catch the dripping from the Turkey. That is what I do so I can make a nice smokey gravy.

However I have plenty of chickens in my UDS with them dripping right on the coals. It won't flare up if you have the lid on. However if you take the lid off, you better work fast or you will get a grease fire (which goes out shortly after you put the lid back on)

I run a cake pan water pan.

Can't go wrong following Malcom Reed- I like his videos. :thumb:

I've done many a turkey on my UDS, both with and without a drop pan/diffuser. If done without a diffuser, I've never had an issue with drippings causing flare ups. I don't think there's enough oxygen for the flare ups. I mean when I've had the drum really rocking and the fire basket literally catches fire when I've had the lid open too long and when I put the lid back on, the flames go away almost immediately.....I wouldn't worry about flare ups.

But yes....the drip pan works great.
The BEST benefit of using this method is that you get to catch all those yummy turkey drippings for gravy! :thumb:

Back