new modded ECB

mata666

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey fellerz. Like 3 weeks ago my in laws surprised me with a brinkmann gourmet charcoal smoker. They knew I'd been talking about getting a smoker and know my love for grilling so they decided to suprise me with one. Such a sweet gesture! Now I knew nothing about this model so I got on the BBQ-brethren forum and serched. I found a few threads with people saying with a few changes to the brinkmann it can churn out some decent Q. So I went on amazon and started shopping. I'm set to get a pbc for xmas but this guy seems like it can help me get by till then. so i thought i would share my progress with her. the last thing i wanna do is add come long bolts to the dampers on the bottom of the charcoal pan so i can open and close easier.

20141120_223209.jpg

20141120_223222.jpg

20141120_223254.jpg

20141120_223321.jpg

20141120_223331.jpg

20141120_223343.jpg

Pretty cool mods. It may work so well you don't want a PBC - ha!

Seriously though, it looks like you're fairly handy making modifications and such. You should really look into a UDS. They're fun to build and cook like a champ.

Thank you gents!! I felt so proud to show you all my new toy you guys have no idea!!

Man that is mint craftmanship. Sure it is going to be a beast. Be sure to ppst some temps cook times if you can.

Nice!!!

Those are some slick looking mods. You rocked em, Brother. SO..............what time does the Bash at your place start? I heard something about ribs, pork shoulder or something like that. The mod ideas have really changed from when I first modded my Dad's old Brinkmann that he gave to me.

That rope gasket mod is too cool. You got's some awesome Suegros!

Bob

Great lookin smoker. Bet it will cook great.

Nice mods! You should be able to control temps very well.

I did some of the mods (regulated intake, drilled exhaust holes, built charcoal basket) on my Master Forge and it works great.

One thing I did to make it cook better for me was I quit using water in the pan. Just lined it with foil to catch the drippings. That makes it easier to cook hotter, and faster, with no difference in the quality of the finished product.

You should be able to dial in a temperature and get it to hold steady for hours.

Good luck on your cooks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 129
Great mods! I did the same to my brinkmann gourmet plus a couple more that I think may help you. I made a charcoal basket out of expanded metal to set in fire box which helps load more fuel for longer cooks. I also added some longer legs I picked up at ikea to sit it up about 6 inches higher off the ground. I think this let more air flow an the added height is easier on back.

All in all my ECB gourmet runs like a charm. Ran a butt in it all night last night and it held 225 using stubbs charcoal like. Champ

Very nice mods, indeed!
I went with a single large vent hole at the bottom controlled by a single pivoting vent handle.

Great job on those mods! I learned the smoking basics on a ECB that I made some improvements to, they didn't look as good as yours though. That baby will knock out some good Q for sure.

Thanks again brothers I owe it all you guys. I love this forum! I need to slap a bbq brethren sticker on er to seal the deal.

Update: finally got to try andseason her been at it for about 3.5 hours. Had trouble getting the chimney lit lol (newbie) and when I finally did I was pumped. I did not use the minion method but I think I should have. When I first got her goin I didn't have the water pan filled and I put 4 chunks in the charcoal pan. The smoker was at 400 degrees. FARK too hot!! Now I added water and adjusted my air intakes and I'm sitting at about 300. I'm pretty sure I have too much charcoal in the pan and I probably added too many hot coals when I started. Any advice on how to keep my temps down around 225 250? I'm kinda freaked out the my air intake are letting too much air in since my dampers are not really flush on the pan. Hmmmm thanks in advance gents.

Update: finally got to try andseason her been at it for about 3.5 hours. Had trouble getting the chimney lit lol (newbie) and when I finally did I was pumped. I did not use the minion method but I think I should have. When I first got her goin I didn't have the water pan filled and I put 4 chunks in the charcoal pan. The smoker was at 400 degrees. FARK too hot!! Now I added water and adjusted my air intakes and I'm sitting at about 300. I'm pretty sure I have too much charcoal in the pan and I probably added too many hot coals when I started. Any advice on how to keep my temps down around 225 250? I'm kinda freaked out the my air intake are letting too much air in since my dampers are not really flush on the pan. Hmmmm thanks in advance gents.

Light your chimney the Easy Way like I do. 275* is the Best All Around BBQ temp. Start with less lit coals. Smoker will seal up with a few cooks.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ScS5FskhE[/ame]

Back