My Experience with Abe's vs Humphries

BarnabyHooge

Found some matches.
Just wanted to put this out there for those researching new smokers. I've seen other posts on Abe's and I hate to pile on but people are spending hard earned money on these things.

Abe's:
I had a bunch of problems with him about a year ago. Many changed delivery dates and the first smoker was absolute garbage and had to be returned. Doors were too small, shelves were 1/2" out of level, shelves were flimsy and I had smoke coming out of the seems at the top. Despite the quality he never tried to scam me and agreed to get me a new unit. He may not know what he's doing but I did find him to be trustworthy in that he would make things right.

In the end the big things eventually got resolved with a new smoker but I still have poor sealing doors (gaskets on door and jamb), a thermo that only goes to 250, cheap door latches that require two hands to open & paint that looks to be starting to chip already. Abe's doors also don't seal flush to the very front. When you pull out the fire box during a cook, ash and bits of hot coal land on the edge and burn away the seal. You have to sweep and scrape that way in order to close the door. I went with him because at the time he was way cheaper than anyone else, closer to me for delivery purposes, and it seemed like a solid unit. Since then prices have gone up. Once you put all of those things aside I have had some successful cooks on it. If you can get one cheap without having to deal with the wait it might be worth it.

I recently helped a family member buy a Humphries as a gift for someone. After the Abe's experience I suggested that they go with Humphries.

Humphries was super professional on the phone answering any and all questions we had. My family member, who knows nothing about smokers, was really impressed when she called to order it. She got a custom color scheme and a cart. A few weeks later I got the email that it was ready to be shipped.

The unit itself is much smaller than mine but the design & fit and finish are outstanding. The door handles are super solid, paint looks fantastic, and everything is extremely sturdy. The overall design from the doors, vents & removable water pan are heads and tails above my unit.

At the end of the day I'd gladly swap my larger unit for the smaller
Humphries. In fact, there may be a used Abe's on CL soon enough...

I appreciate your honesty on this and you may have saved a fellow brethren from some heartache. Kevin is not the best at following thru. I have an Abe's and I would also recommend a Humphrey's to anyone looking for an insulated vertical cabinet or a Lone Star Grillz now that they make a smaller model. With all the options and shipping I ended up saving nearly $1,000. That is not the case any longer now that the prices have gone up.

I must have gotten lucky. My 48" model works very well. I have never had to reload fuel during a cook but I would assume shaking the charcoal basket before you pull it out would help. My main issue is with the intakes. I had to modify these to keep the temps down. The intakes are too big and do not seal completely. A single ball valve would be enough. Where on the cooker is your paint chipping?

I'm in the same boat. At the time it was way less expensive and it was going to be that unit or really nothing at all so I took a chance. I ended up getting the stainless doors thrown in because at one point he sent me pics of someone elses unit saying it was ready to go out and that unit had two stainless doors. When I asked him he said he was throwing one of them in for the trouble. I checked the meta data on the pics he sent and it had been taken weeks prior so it couldn't have been mine in the first place. I never called him on it because he had my money but it was a pretty shady move. He also changed the finish on the second unit from a textured black to smooth and didn't mention it until he was at my place with the smoker. Minor issue but when those things start piling up it gets mighty old.

I normally have to block the one of the intakes with a brick. Not ideal. Hoping I can find a big flat magnet sometime that will just go across it. Don't want to have to get a guru but may need to.

There are a few spots around the chimney and the top that have small chips and there are some smaller ones on the hinges as well. They're not big yet but rust doesn't need a big spot to take hold.

I'm in the same boat. At the time it was way less expensive and it was going to be that unit or really nothing at all so I took a chance. I ended up getting the stainless doors thrown in because at one point he sent me pics of someone elses unit saying it was ready to go out and that unit had two stainless doors. When I asked him he said he was throwing one of them in for the trouble. I checked the meta data on the pics he sent and it had been taken weeks prior so it couldn't have been mine in the first place. I never called him on it because he had my money but it was a pretty shady move. He also changed the finish on the second unit from a textured black to smooth and didn't mention it until he was at my place with the smoker. Minor issue but when those things start piling up it gets mighty old.

I normally have to block the one of the intakes with a brick. Not ideal. Hoping I can find a big flat magnet sometime that will just go across it. Don't want to have to get a guru but may need to.

There are a few spots around the chimney and the top that have small chips and there are some smaller ones on the hinges as well. They're not big yet but rust doesn't need a big spot to take hold.

Get your wife's nail polish and fill in the chipped area. It will keep the rust away. Mine was scratched by the shipper after they removed it from the pallet and failed to strap it down properly. I cut the flapper things out of my intakes and sealed the holes with high temp RTV silicone which happens to be red like my smoker. I use a cover I made out of a piece of a disposable aluminum pan to cover one intake and I have the guru adapter on the other with a ball valve. While not ideal it does work very well. As far as the door leaking it may be easy to fix. You can drill another hole in the adjustment part closer to the smoker and that will allow the door to close a little tighter. Just make sure the hole you drill is smaller than the screw.:becky:

This thread has several mods that might help you. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186215&page=6

Just wanted to put this out there for those researching new smokers. I've seen other posts on Abe's and I hate to pile on but people are spending hard earned money on these things.

Abe's:
I had a bunch of problems with him about a year ago. Many changed delivery dates and the first smoker was absolute garbage and had to be returned. Doors were too small, shelves were 1/2" out of level, shelves were flimsy and I had smoke coming out of the seems at the top. Despite the quality he never tried to scam me and agreed to get me a new unit. He may not know what he's doing but I did find him to be trustworthy in that he would make things right.

In the end the big things eventually got resolved with a new smoker but I still have poor sealing doors (gaskets on door and jamb), a thermo that only goes to 250, cheap door latches that require two hands to open & paint that looks to be starting to chip already. Abe's doors also don't seal flush to the very front. When you pull out the fire box during a cook, ash and bits of hot coal land on the edge and burn away the seal. You have to sweep and scrape that way in order to close the door. I went with him because at the time he was way cheaper than anyone else, closer to me for delivery purposes, and it seemed like a solid unit. Since then prices have gone up. Once you put all of those things aside I have had some successful cooks on it. If you can get one cheap without having to deal with the wait it might be worth it.

I recently helped a family member buy a Humphries as a gift for someone. After the Abe's experience I suggested that they go with Humphries.

Humphries was super professional on the phone answering any and all questions we had. My family member, who knows nothing about smokers, was really impressed when she called to order it. She got a custom color scheme and a cart. A few weeks later I got the email that it was ready to be shipped.

The unit itself is much smaller than mine but the design & fit and finish are outstanding. The door handles are super solid, paint looks fantastic, and everything is extremely sturdy. The overall design from the doors, vents & removable water pan are heads and tails above my unit.

At the end of the day I'd gladly swap my larger unit for the smaller
Humphries. In fact, there may be a used Abe's on CL soon enough...

Humphrey's are rocks solid, i am nearing two years and I can find no fault.

As far as the size, Humphrey's has a multitude of sizes to fit one's individual needs.

Back