Help - Install Tel Tru Thermometers

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just ordered and received two tel-tru's that I need to install on my smoker - unfortunately, they require a hole large enough for a 1/2 inch NPT connection - the current ones I have that I want to replace only have a hole large enough for a 1/4th inch NPT. Instalation instructions call for using a 7/8th drill bit and to use the installation kit (which I have). Is it possible to use a hand drill with a 7/8th drill bit to enlarge the holes that currently exist and hold the thermometers I want to replace - thank you

I don't know how much it would cost but I would check to see if I could return them and get the correct ones. Just another option.

When I built my smoker in 2007 I drilled the holes for 1/2npt with a 1/2 drill hand drill. The pipe was 3/8" steel wall and I did not have any problem.

Use Oil with them Step Bits or they Dull Fast - ESp. The Harbor Freight Cheapos.....

What kind of oil do you use and can you just use a standard hand held drill with a unibit to get through 1/4 inch steel?

Just ordered and received two tel-tru's that I need to install on my smoker - unfortunately, they require a hole large enough for a 1/2 inch NPT connection - the current ones I have that I want to replace only have a hole large enough for a 1/4th inch NPT. Instalation instructions call for using a 7/8th drill bit and to use the installation kit (which I have). Is it possible to use a hand drill with a 7/8th drill bit to enlarge the holes that currently exist and hold the thermometers I want to replace - thank you

Yes you can, but use a lower speed so it doesn't get away from you. As indicated above a good uni-bit would work as well.

You don't need cutting oil. The most important thing is keeping the bit cool. Slow rotation speed and just use water to keep it cool.

Back