Brinkmann Electric

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Always see these on CL. I've heard they are designed to run 230 240 out of the box. My question is on the science behind it. Could I regulate the temp. Say I do similar mods as people have done with gourmet charcoal. Would opening up vents on the charcoal pan warm or cool the smoker. Would a damper on the top allow for the temp to cool. I would be curious if these mods would have an effect. I would also swap out the lava rocks for char diamonds. might be barking up the wrong tree as electric is completely different from charcoal. Let me know what you think. Anyone try this before, what is the science behind it?

Don't think modding would help much.
I run a Masterbuilt Electric and it had only 2 1/8" intakes in chip tray, I drilled them to 5/16" and added 2 more and will push air in with a small fan but this is only to get more chips burned cleaner for more Smoke Flavor - doesn't help or hurt Temp any. Element cycles on and off so changing air is just gonna make it cycle different. Gourmet style may not cycle tho - may be made to stay on? But don't they have a lil dial temp reg like an electric skillet?

I'd buy a electric gourmet if found cheap and switch it to charcoal n wood chunks.

Just a guess from being around my dad's gourmet for years and years, I don't think you can really adjust the temp. at all. When he finishes his turkeys and needs to just keep them warm,. he'll unplug it for awhile and thenplug it back in. As far as messing with dampers and what not for temp.,.. I don't think that is nessesary at all. The heat element is going to run where it runs. The moving of the air as suggested in the previous post is interesting, and may help with running cleaner smoke, but I've never seen dirty smoke coming out of my dads so,.. IDK. Good luck!

The moving of the air as suggested in the previous post is interesting, and may help with running cleaner smoke, but I've never seen dirty smoke coming out of my dads so,.. IDK. Good luck!

Without fan I could do one tray of chips and there be charred chips left. With fan I can run 2-3 trays of chips and just ash left. Q from the Electric is equal to Q from my UDS that way.

Back