Competition Lessons

Lessons from the Road

I thought I'd add some of my personal experiences from our first competition this past weekend. I know a number of the things mentioned on this thread really helped out (zip ties were a lifesaver in the rainstorm and I made sure we had our tent sides down during turn-in times to avoid visitors with empty guts, for example).

* Organization. Create storage boxes, tool boxes, whatever, for everything you need and make sure it ends up back there so you know exactly where to reach when it's crunch time. Also makes loading and unloading much easier.

* Tall tables make a heck of a difference. We brought standard wooden folding tables and realized after getting only 1/3 of the way through trimming all of the meat that bending that far over for long periods of time does terrible things to your back. I saw a lot of PVC extensions (legs inserted into pieces of PVC) and Bad Bones had some great expandable tables from Costco.

* Again, don't try to do everything yourself. Divide responsibilities, whether assigning each person a category of specific duties. Lay it out in advance and stick to it so you're not stepping on each other.

* If there's grass, why setup your site on dirt? It looked great in the sun, next to the bathrooms and turn-in station, but the downpours turned it into a swamp. I think that's an basic rule of camping too but I was a pretty bad boy scout.

* Make sure your tent is well staked. At about 2am it lifted up and took off like a 12x12 foot kite, breaking a couple legs. Luckily we were able to bend them enough to put it back up, otherwise it would have been an even nastier night in the rain.

* When in doubt, use multiple gauges, especially on our relatively inexpensive smokers. Drilling an extra external thermometer or bringing one extra wireless thermometer would have alerted us much earlier on that the smoker temps were way too low, instead of finding out six hours before turnin and racing to catch up (unsuccessfully on the brisket, unfortunately).

* Above all else, don't take it too seriously, at least out of the gate. I almost drove myself nuts after a bad showing instead of focusing on what did work, what we had overcome, and what we accomplished. One great showing (fifth in grilling on Sat) and one bad showing (37th on Sun) equals one average overall showing with a ton of great lessons, new friends and memories.

- Clint

Clint,
Well said, and replies like your's is what I was looking for. It is really nice to pull up a thread like this when you are new to the sport. Also, I will never be able to compete like the pros with my schedule and budget, so your advice about not taking things too seriously really rings true!

Noah, we only compete now and then... we did 2 last year, we'll do 3 this year, and 4-5 next year. That's as much as we ever expect to do... But we try our best, while having fun!

Just a small tip for "staking your tent" on cement, Grab 4 of those colapsable water jugs used for camping, fill them with water and tie them to each leg of your tent. Beats the heck out of bricks because you dump the water out and only transport empty plastic jugs.

Noah (and others who posted here),
Thanks for the benefit of your experience. In addition to the place here in Florida, we also still have our place in Covington, Ga. I plan to visit the competition there on the 13th and 14th of October. I hope to meet you and others there. I've never been to a competition so I'm really looking forward to it.

thunderbelly said:
Just a small tip for "staking your tent" on cement, Grab 4 of those collapsible water jugs used for camping, fill them with water and tie them to each leg of your tent. Beats the heck out of bricks because you dump the water out and only transport empty plastic jugs.

Funny that Bill would revive this thread and that this was the last post.
Yesterday, I bought a lot of 5 collapsible 5 gal bottles off of EBay for about $14 delivered.
No more concrete blocks to deal with--YEAH! :lol:

TIM

Twas gonna tell ya about this Chad--but you get to hear it here first :lol:

thunderbelly said:
Just a small tip for "staking your tent" on cement, Grab 4 of those colapsable water jugs used for camping, fill them with water and tie them to each leg of your tent. Beats the heck out of bricks because you dump the water out and only transport empty plastic jugs.

Well iffen ya got a cordless hammer drill---tapcons are the answer---and a tube of grey caulk covers the holes

Buzz

2Fat said:
Well iffen ya got a cordless hammer drill---tapcons are the answer---and a tube of grey caulk covers the holes

Buzz

Good idea but I guess we didnt do that at the Royal a few years ago? I recall an ezup launching and ending up a few rows away!

file that underlessons learned--after that it has been hammer time!
Our ezup went through the roof of "Everybody Loves Raymonds" tent--he was cooking out of Cali. then now he is in Minnesota running a distillery--cooked next to him a few weeks back--both laughed about that incident--now!
Buzz
maybe looking for another competitor

This site and one other has provided me with the most usefully information.
but the only way to get better is to actually go cook under pressure.
Nothing like it I love It have yet to have a really bad time some just better than others just like????? well you know

The_Kapn said:
Funny that Bill would revive this thread and that this was the last post.
Yesterday, I bought a lot of 5 collapsible 5 gal bottles off of EBay for about $14 delivered.
No more concrete blocks to deal with--YEAH! :lol:

TIM

Twas gonna tell ya about this Chad--but you get to hear it here first :lol:

I wasn't able to find quite the same deal, but this site has 6 collapsible jugs for about $20 after shipping. Four for the legs and another couple for transporting water. http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Colemans.storefront/en/product/129801

SmokeInDaEye said:
* Tall tables make a heck of a difference. We brought standard wooden folding tables and realized after getting only 1/3 of the way through trimming all of the meat that bending that far over for long periods of time does terrible things to your back. I saw a lot of PVC extensions (legs inserted into pieces of PVC) and Bad Bones had some great expandable tables from Costco.

* Again, don't try to do everything yourself. Divide responsibilities, whether assigning each person a category of specific duties. Lay it out in advance and stick to it so you're not stepping on each other.

* Above all else, don't take it too seriously, at least out of the gate. I almost drove myself nuts after a bad showing instead of focusing on what did work, what we had overcome, and what we accomplished. One great showing (fifth in grilling on Sat) and one bad showing (37th on Sun) equals one average overall showing with a ton of great lessons, new friends and memories.

- Clint

This were all key for us in our first year, especially the last one. Our motto was "Have fun, don't come in last!" We competed in 3 contests and came in 3rd in the final two.

Be sure to walk around and talk to the other teams. Make friends and enjoy each other's company. Winning is great but I think I look forward to getting together with the friends I made more.

Tons of good info here! There was one thing we started doing last year to safe on meat cost. We always seem to has people asking us to cook something for us. We used this to help defray some of our cost. We would cook the meat we needed for the contest, pick out the best to turn in and the unused meat would go to whoever paid for the BBQ. We cooked as many as four briskets, four pork butts and nine slabs of spareribs. But our cost remained the same or was less.

The best advice? Have fun and make friends!:-D

I get a competition lesson every contest as I get my ass kicked.

What size would you recommend, and with or without some sort of washer?
think we use about 1/4" tap cons--the bugle head seems to hold ok without any washers--im our experience anyway

In a couple of contests that we have competed in, the venue owner made announcements that any team making holes in the blacktop to secure their canopy would be asked to pack up and leave, and they meant business! Be careful.

This could be one of those threads that could be continuously added to, but I did learn a few valuable lessons this weekend. Enjoy:

3. Be very patient with the spectators. It seems that "your space" is actually public space! My one regret is being short with a couple who wanted to samply my pork while I was putting together the turn-in box. If nobody explains it to the public, then how will they know how to act? Don't expect common sense...

This in my opinion is where the event organizers are not educated by KCBS or any of the other organizations.

I took my hand dandy word processor, and made me some signs. All I put on it is basically: NO SALES NO SAMPLES PLEASE DO NOT ASK

I put the letters as big as they would fit on the page, then printed them on colored paper. Had them laminated, and tape them to the back of my tent sides after I get set up. It is amazing the comments you will hear, but they will not ask for anything either. The general public will look, see, and walk on by to the next team and bother them.... :biggrin:

Very inexpensive, and very effective.

If you would like, I can scan one, and post a pic.....

This in my opinion is where the event organizers are not educated by KCBS or any of the other organizations.

I took my hand dandy word processor, and made me some signs. All I put on it is basically: NO SALES NO SAMPLES PLEASE DO NOT ASK

I put the letters as big as they would fit on the page, then printed them on colored paper. Had them laminated, and tape them to the back of my tent sides after I get set up. It is amazing the comments you will hear, but they will not ask for anything either. The general public will look, see, and walk on by to the next team and bother them.... :biggrin:

Very inexpensive, and very effective.

If you would like, I can scan one, and post a pic.....

I have seen people use a dry erase board and prop it up Saturday morning asking the public not to talk to them until after 1:00 pm or the last turn in. Offer them a beer if they have questions and you can answer them then.

Best thing to do before your first comp is a practice cook at home adhering to actual turn in times and box making. This was invaluable to me before my first comp. I knew what I needed to bring (and not bring) and what to expect. As far as being short with spectators..it doesnt take a genius to figure out whether someone is handing food out or not . I really have a hard time sympathizing with spectators who dont have the manners to ask first before grabbing. I woud try and set up your area so the prep table is away from the main walkway. it will help but you still have those who think nothing of walking into your space and helping themselves . Might be good to bring someone with next time for an extra set of hands and to "bounce" rude spectators for ya

Back