New (to me) Hobart slicer

rexster314

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been looking on Craigslist for a while now, and I found one that showed promise so I called the seller and found it was a Hobart 1612 for $150 and even had the sharpener (stones were broken I found out). Drove over yesterday, took a look at it and decided to buy it. Everything was pretty good shape but the gage plate and indexing wheel were stuck, but went ahead and bought it thinking I could clean it up and get everything working. Found out that sticking indexing plates are very common with this model of slicer and found a fix for it. I did a down and dirty sharpening on the knife but will redo it when I get the sharpening stones I ordered. After lots of elbow grease and judicious use of a propane torch I got everything freed up and lubricated. I sliced some Canadian bacon that I had and wound up with paper thin slices. I'm pleased.

That's a pretty good sized slicer. Do you plan on keeping it on your counter or on a cart? That would be a great model to own but I am just wondering how people are storing them.
Thanks.

Congratulations, Great Score, the sharpeners are relatively cheap.

I have an older Hobart that's an auto slicer. I've never used the auto slicer feature only because I like to make nice neat stacks for vac-sealing.

They are heavy, mine weighs about 250 pounds and I keep it on a cart with a cover.

Congrats, Hobart's are a very good slicer.

Don't use pan spray as a lubricant. It kills slicers even a Hobart.

Great price on your slicer! I don't use mine that offen, but it's a great tool when I need it.

I have a Berkel model 808. I picked a dedicated stainless steel cart on wheels to keep it on. When I use it I roll it to where I want and usually do a production slicing with the help I have on hand. Clean everything up with soap, water and Clorox wipes then roll it back to its corner. The one thing I do need to get is locking wheels on the turning wheels. Right now I just wedge them with wood.

Pam will sooner or later gunk up. I had to use a propane torch and a dead blow hammer on mine to free up the gage plate support rods.

2014-09-13%2012.57.29.jpg
That's a pretty good sized slicer. Do you plan on keeping it on your counter or on a cart? That would be a great model to own but I am just wondering how people are storing them.
Thanks.

I have a utility cart ordered that I will keep it on and roll it to where I need to. This thing would take up half my counter space if I left it out on counter

I have the same slicer.

It will serve you well.

I've been well pleased with this slicer, but last week I started looking at all the dull aluminum pieces on it and remembered polishing the parts on my old Triumph motorcycle. I got out the wetsand paper and jeweler's rouge and went to work on the gauge plate, back blade guard and carriage plate. This is the results. Deciding whether to buff out the stainless blade guard to mirror shine.

2014-10-09%2020.07.26.jpg

Nice slicer. I need to upgrade from my plastic one.

Why does Pam kill a slicer? What would you use as a lubricant, then?
I picked up a Berkel slicer that was all gummed up.
The assembly underneath that slides got lubed with food grade mineral oil (cutting board oil). Worked great.

Back