"New mini"...first cook fatties and tri-tip...

PaSmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Finally built a mini...WSJ silver ($15 on craigslist)...32 qt vasconia ($20 at wally world sale a few months ago)...new Weber cooking rack ($8 amazon prime)...cheap thermo ($9 amazon prime)...Misc hardware (about $7 at home depot)...
Hardest part, getting that darned label off pot!

Cut bottom out with aviation snips...(wife walks by, "Isn't that a new pot?"...shakes head and walks away...:roll:

thermo stem just below grate...grate 4.5" from top...ss hardware with fiber washers and acorn nuts on outside...

6" carriage bolt on bottom for temp control...

tri-tip and 2 naked fatties...

very pleased with results (though the roast got a little too done...my fault fault, not the mini!)...

LOVED cooking on this!...got up to temp quickly...held steady at 250-275, where I wanted it...(boil-tested the cheapo therm the nite before and happy to say it was "right on"!)...need to add bottom vent can cover as I got some ash build up...may make a charcoal basket...was gonna paint it but after it was done was too impatient, wanted to try it asap!...

Big THANKS to all the brethren for tips/techniques and sharing their builds...mine is just a "copy-cat" of what worked!!

Great first cook! You are gonna love that thing!

Lookin good! The fiber washers will help with the grease not leaking out...I did that also.

I was going to say you're going to love it, but it looks like i'm to late :mrgreen: Congrats on a good looking cooker.

Congrats on your new mini! Ive been using mine all summer and i love the damn thing! Best use for a smokey joe ever.

They are so much fun to cook on. My wife is getting annoyed at me for using it so much.

I'm gathering the parts for one and got the Vasconia also. I wonder if anyone has tried seeing if the label comes off any easier if you fire it up first? Yours looks good!

Back