charcoal useage?

RooDog

Found some matches.
Hey guys,

New to charcoal cooking and am just wondering how much charcoal you guys use for a 8hr cook at about 225*. I know it all depends on the grill size/setup but I am using the brinkman dual function offset smoker. I am using about 8-10lbs for that timeframe and am just wondering if that is typical or excessive. I am currently also reading some of these threads as to sealing leaks, making the smoker more efficient, and converting to reverse flow setups and will soon start working on some of these mods.

Thanks in advance!

Robb

I have never used a Brinkman but the weather can also play into it. That does not sound excessive to me but there are Brinkman user here who could better tell you.

I don't know much about that smoker but if it's an offset it should run best on splits. I've heard a lot about high charcoal consumption when using it to fuel an offset.

I don't know much about that smoker but if it's an offset it should run best on splits. I've heard a lot about high charcoal consumption when using it to fuel an offset.

Run on splits? Could you enlighten this noobie as to what that means?

Thanks!

You said offset. I assume it has a separate fire box. They run best on small logs

You want a "small hot fire" clean burning with no thick white smoke. Pre heat splits so the catch quickly, adding fuel every half hour or so. Some other are sure to chime in with better explanations.

You said offset. I assume it has a separate fire box. They run best on small logs

You want a "small hot fire" clean burning with no thick white smoke. Pre heat splits so the catch quickly, adding fuel every half hour or so. Some other are sure to chime in with better explanations.

Im concerned about how smokey the food will get by using mostly logs to cook. I don't mind it but the wife and kid are not as big of a fan. Any recommendations?

You can always foil your meat after it gets some smoke flavor, and let it cook until done. Or, you can finish in the oven after it starts out in the smoker and cooks for an hour or two, depending on what you are cooking.

Have a Blessed cook!

Omar

If the fires clean (most of the time its just vapor coming from the stack) the smoke flavor is pleasant. I find its less overpowering than can be on my wsm. Keys to a clean fire (no thick white smoke) are properly seasoned wood splits. Preheat them either on top of the smoker or on the far side of the firebox. When you add them leave the lid open until the split bursts into flames. Its important to keep a nice base of embers to ignite splits, if you wait too long to add one the base will burn down and you won't have enough to light new splits. Lump charcoal can be used to help maintain a base. Give it a try its how offsets are built to run and I feel the flavor can be better. I like fruit woods mostly but brisket and butts can use stronger woods. Oak, pecan, hickory, maple all work fine just be sure its seasoned (dry) enough. Im sure I missed something but like I said there are more experienced brethren then myself who can help if your having trouble. Just use the search or better yet post a thread and the gang will help.

Back