Charcoal

Lump Charcoal Verus Kingsford Blue

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

frogwelder

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I know this most likely been hashed over before, but since I'm new would like to know. I have a WSM 22.5 and I use Kingsford blue but a lot use lump charcoal like Royal Oak or other kinds. I know Weber recommends Kingsford they say lump burns hotter, so do you folks think? or is just what you prefer? Thank you

I used hardwood briquettes in my WSMs. Most of the time I'm not interested in hotter, I'm looking for a longer burn time.

I either use hardwood briqs ( long over night smokes ) or lump for everyday cooking.

I have about 150 lb of kbb that I have had for years.

I think briquettes work best in a WSM as far as which brand, to a lot of folks thems fighten words.

Always give at least 3 options in a poll. These guys are like sharks and will eat a poll alive no matter how well thought out it is. Stay strong and hold your ground. Damn blood sucking vultures is what they are.

BTW: I choose C natural briquettes:mrgreen:

Really I'll use whatever I'm not a charcoal snob. I've got at least three brands of fuel at all times in addition to wood splits.

I use both. I have Kingsford blue briquetts and Royal Oak lump on hand right now. Also Pecan splits. Depends on what I'm cooking and which cooker I'm using. I do use a lot of Kingsford blue due to the sale prices around holidays. I like Stubbs a little better, but never on sale. Royal oak lump is hotter and less ash if I need heat above 300.

Yeah, the poll doesn't really make sense.

I use both kinds.

When grilling on my Webers, I generally just use Kingsford Blue Bag.

In my Big Green Egg I obviously use lump of one kind or another.

In my WSM, I will use which ever I am in the mood for.

I cook enough that I try to use whatever I get on sale.

We use kbb. Fits better in the smokers. And considerably cheaper when you go through 500+ lbs a year,

I like lump because I think food cooked on it tastes better. Also there is a lot less ash.

I prefer Kingsford Competition as it doesn't have that awful smell that KBB gives off and has a longer burn time. I use it in my Kettle and UDS

I use KBB b/c I get it cheap and stockpile hundreds of pounds of it. Plus, it works great in the WSM and i don't mind the extra ash b/c cleaning the WSM is part of smoking.

Back