• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Why do my briskets come out a bit dry and crumbly?

doug93003

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've tried every method under the sun, and settled on the Bludawg method as I consistently make the best briskets using it. I don't cook to temp or even have a temp probe in during the cook.

Other than the flats falling apart a bit, they come out fantastic. Admittedly I am an aggressive trimmer. Getting as much of the hard fat and deckle out as I can.

I have not injected my last few briskets as I'm trying to get the cook down perfectly before enhancing.

Temp is always between 300-325 cooking on a Kamodo Joe or a Humphreys Battle Box, results are very similar on each.

I pull them once for rest once they probe with with no drag, like the probe is going through nothing. I use a temp probe to probe. Once I wrap I start probing at one hour and usually probe every 30 minutes from there to make sure I don't overcook.

Rest is on a counter top with the butcher paper loosened up a bit till it hits 150F, which is usually 2hours give or take.

My problem is that my brisket flat part of my packers are a bit overcooked, and break apart when cutting. They still taste awesome and the points are perfect.

I'm wondering if I should pull sooner, like at a bit of drag, or rest shorter, or if a temp probe is a bit too thick and I should probe with something thinner, which I think would probe tender sooner. Maybe rest it less time?

What am I missing?

You're over-cooking by a tiny bit. Crumbly flat means over-cooked. A thinner probe could do the trick. Or just pull a little sooner

Are you cooking them together or separate? I'm guessing together. As Landarc said, sound like you're overcooking, but not by much. Try separating them before cooking. You'll get more bark and have better control over the tenderness of each. I probe my flats same as you do, only i do it ever half hr. Also, you should have a little resistance when you probe. Going thru it as tho it isn't even there is another indication of overcooking.

Good luck!

Well I'll add a couple of common issues for you to consider. 1.) Where are your temp gauges in relation to the cooking surfaces? Could it be that the reading on your thermos are not indicative of the temp that surrounds the meat and the actual cooking temp is much higher?
2.) Are you initially cooking fat side up or down? If the heat source is directly below the meat you'd want to cook fat side down for the first four hours to help protect the meat from drying out, then once the brisket is wrapped it would be safe to flip it fat side up.:-D

I think everyone has pretty accurately diagnosed your concern.

For me, the probe tenderness I go for on brisket is ever-so-slightly more resistant than it is on a pork shoulder. If the "probe through warm butter" tenderness is a 10, then I cook my briskets to about an 8 or 9. If I do hit a 10, though, I just vent them a bit longer before wrapping back up for the rest. Typically I carry over most of the heat to the cooler for resting (only about a 5 minute vent).

Getting the entire flat to slice with the same tenderness is difficult, too, since the thickness, fat cap, and protection from the point varies so much. The thinnest part of the flat might make a little more delicate slices, but if the bulk of the flat makes good slices, then I'm happy. The slices with both flat and point meat are the best, in my opinion.

Try a thinner probe, Only probe the thickest part of the Flat( one little area) once it is probe tender rest it It is rare that it will not be probe tender with in 1 hr of wrapping I have had may be 3 that went a little longer.

I recommend the Cow Poker (available at most hardware emporiums for about 5.00)
DSCF0066Modified2.jpg

Back