• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Are Brisket Prices Up For You?

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Cold weather winter here and I don't do much from Christmas until late March. I went on to US Foods to get an order together for next week and brisket is up to $4.09 lb which was like $3.09 last fall. I've seen it get as high as $3.79 lb here but was shocked. Especially since I need 225 lbs for an event in 3 weeks. Anyone else seeing this kind of spike? We tracked whole packers and edible portions from cryovac untrimmed raw weight are about 7.2 oz edible meat per lb of cryovac raw weight. So as an example $4.09 lb will yield 7.2 oz of sellable meat and have a cost of $0.568 per oz or $9.09 per lb. I can dang near start selling ribeyes for the price of brisket as my cost for the same brand of whole ribeye loin is $9.27lb. Sure there is a little loss there in cooking but not like brisket.

Stupid question but why are you going through US foods and not Restaurant Depot? Right now down here they're at 2.89 for CAB Brisket

That's 45% yield. It may seem minor but im at 50% and that 5% is everything selling brisket.
I'm in the great white north (Detroit) and at the most brisket was $3.09/lb.
At those prices and yields, you'd be better off selling pulled chicken! ;)

Stupid question but why are you going through US foods and not Restaurant Depot? Right now down here they're at 2.89 for CAB Brisket

Nearest one is 2 hours and 20 minutes away from me,

It's up to $3.33/lb. from $3.02/lb. for mine through Sysco. Restaurant Depot is 90 miles away for me and I still hate them from when I used to deliver to them. :rolleyes:

$3.19 here, as of yesterday. Us foods is the highest in my area.

Us foods is the highest in my area.

In my area we don't have the option that many people have. I either buy at Walmart, Food Lion, etc. or I take up 3-4 hours for a trip to Sams Club which is about an hour away to shop or I buy from US Foods or Sysco. Sysco does not want to deal small accounts around here. If my order isn't 20 cases they won't take it. I can order $400-$1200 orders from US Food and they are happy for my business. I do pay more for some items vs going to Sams Club but time is money and US Foods delivers to my door. Back on the briskets Walmart which is typically never more than $2.90lb is even charging $369 right now. They only stock a couple and many time don't have them and won't order them for me either.

In my area we don't have the option that many people have. I either buy at Walmart, Food Lion, etc. or I take up 3-4 hours for a trip to Sams Club which is about an hour away to shop or I buy from US Foods or Sysco. Sysco does not want to deal small accounts around here. If my order isn't 20 cases they won't take it. I can order $400-$1200 orders from US Food and they are happy for my business. I do pay more for some items vs going to Sams Club but time is money and US Foods delivers to my door. Back on the briskets Walmart which is typically never more than $2.90lb is even charging $369 right now. They only stock a couple and many time don't have them and won't order them for me either.

Sysco has a 15 case minimum for delivery here but if I don't meet that they just tack on a $20 service charge which my Sysco sales rep promptly credits back to my account every time it happens. My Sysco orders generally range between $700-1200 a week and we've never had a problem.

Sysco has a 15 case minimum for delivery here but if I don't meet that they just tack on a $20 service charge which my Sysco sales rep promptly credits back to my account every time it happens. My Sysco orders generally range between $700-1200 a week and we've never had a problem.

Wish they would here. I bought from Sysco years ago when I first went into business. They have great products and consistent pork butts but they are firm on 20 case orders here and it's not a matter of tacking $20 on its 20 cases or don't order.

Wish they would here. I bought from Sysco years ago when I first went into business. They have great products and consistent pork butts but they are firm on 20 case orders here and it's not a matter of tacking $20 on its 20 cases or don't order.

I had an order once that was only 14 cases. I tacked on a $1 box of toothpicks and that did the trick. Order a case of pork butts and 19 boxes of toothpicks. :becky:

Wow. Here it is a five case minimum. And I have thought that was ridiculous. Y’all have rough up there.

Wow. Here it is a five case minimum. And I have thought that was ridiculous. Y’all have rough up there.

Well, most people in Alabama have a difficult time counting much higher so they have to keep the numbers low. :boxing:

I was born in Montgomery...

I'm not catering but my local butcher sais he is buying Brisket at $3.05 lb and he is selling it to me for $3.09. That price is in Pa. Excel choice brisket.

I'm not catering but my local butcher sais he is buying Brisket at $3.05 lb and he is selling it to me for $3.09. That price is in Pa. Excel choice brisket.

I can get the Excel brisket here for $3.25/lb. but I end up trimming 5-7 lbs. of fat off and it looks like it was processed by 3rd graders from the Jacksonville School For the Blind. Big cuts through the flat, flaps of meat hanging off, etc. I told my sales rep I'd refuse anything from them if she ordered them for me again.

Back