• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Air Intake

Thanks fella`s, I was worrying that I might have trouble....and I`m not ready to start buying controllers just yet. Gonna fire her up Sunday, maiden voyage and all that ! I can`t wait, she`s been ready for a week now ! Thanks again.

You don't need a controller. It will hold temps just fine. Also don't worry about the elbow restricting air flow. If you want a riser, put it on there. Have a 3/4" riser and 2 ea. 3/4" nipples on mine and have all the air flow needed. It likes to run at 300F with both nipples closed and ball valve on riser 1/2 open. And no, I don't have any air leaks.

Keep us posted!!

1st cook went well ! Went with a small 4lb pork leg as it was a test run. Glad I went small as I discovered that my homemade basket is either too small or my lump charcoal isnt the best. It cooked at a steady 240 for 6 hours which was perfect for this size of pork. Brisket tomorrow, another 1st ! Still finding my feet but learning is fun where there is meat involved....thanks for your help...edit... not changed my basket but have some different lump which claims to burn hotter and longer......

Last edited:
What size is your basket?
For me, lump burns hotter ( for searing), briquettes burn longer on average. I end up always using both due to left over coals. Stumps burns a long time, embers ( royal oak) not as long but lights easier in briquettes. So it is a trade off. I'm not driving around to find any certain one anymore. I just buy what's easily available and go with it.

Hi...basket measures 14" od and 12" depth. I have been researching best coals / briq's etc but all the advice I can find is American, and I dont have access to your brands. I have been to Costco and Asda which are my nearest USA type retailers. I'm sure its my basket size though...Any thoughts on the use of an old washing machine drum ? Local shop is selling one for £15 ? Would it work ? Cheers

Did you check your thermometer? You should be able to burn a lot longer than 6 hours at 250 with the basket size you have. Starting with a full basket of fresh coals.

Did you check your thermometer? You should be able to burn a lot longer than 6 hours at 250 with the basket size you have. Starting with a full basket of fresh coals.

Thanks, I filled my basket to the brim with a mix of Briqs and lump, smoked a small brisket for 8 hrs and when I shut it down I still had half a basket of fuel left :-D

3 - 3/4" ball valves - bending over to adjust is good exercise.

Attachments

• 20130329_132637.jpg
    20130329_132637.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 132
Back