For the sausage makers

Desert Hawg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I will be buying a stuffer and am looking for some feedback on those that have one.

What's you budget and what are you looking to make?

You can get a cheap 5lb vertical stuffer from Gander Mountain, Northern tool, Cabela's etc. There are many out there to choose from. Most of the inexpensive one's have plastic gears. So for the person making sausage or snacks sticks every now and again, you'll be fine. Check out Amazon.com for a selection.

Compare the items, all stuffers are not created equal as Sam3 has indicated above.

Metal gears will give you longevity usage of the item. Nylon gears are not a big issue in the beginning, but after a few years they become brittle and pressure on them can cause them to fracture. Also a tilting cylinder/hopper makes life easy for filling. If you plan on doing sausage in 5 lb batches look at a 7 or 8 lb stuffer as after mixing you always have a little extra left over when filling a 5 lb stuffer. A slightly larger stuffer will allow you to put everything into the cylinder in one action rather than adding to the cylinder a second time.

I have the GreenTree 7 lb stuffer made by Weston. Quality is important..

http://www.westonsupply.com/Realtree-Outfitters-Vertical-Sausage-Stuffer-p/73-0701-rt.htm

Last edited:
I have been happy with the Weston stuffer. Has all the functions listed above.

A good quality stuffer makes a big difference!

Bought mine on Amazon does 10lbs and is really easy to use and clean. All stainless and well made.

I have had the Cabela's #11 for over 10 years. It is very well built. My minimum batch is 5 lbs and I got an extra canister for it to make as much as 40 lbs at a time.

My only gripe is that the stuffing tubes are tapered. Sometimes casings hand up on them. I found some straight stainless ones at Butcher-Packer and it's all good now.

David

I have an LEM 5lb vertical and love it. All metal gears, easy to use and clean. I do smaller batches so the size isn't really an issue for me.

I've got a 20lb horizontal MTN stuffer from eBay, for the price of larger ones I think the MTN is tough to beat, I paid $180 including shipping, compare that to other larger than 5lb stuffers and it's 1/3 the price. It has metal gears and straight SS stuffing tubes.

The cons to it are that the fit and finish aren't quite as top notch as if you bought a Lem or other well known brand, but I've made close to 600 hundred of pounds of sausage in the couple years that I've had it and it's not showing any wear, would definitely do it again!

And the one thing I've heard every single person say that gets into making sausage "I wish i would have bought a bigger one... so true, even though I have a 20lb, I kinda wish i had a 30... :mrgreen:

I have an LEM. I have had no problems with it so far, it doesn't take up a whole lot of space, and it is relatively easy to clean. If this is your first stuffer I recommend the 5lb LEM. You can buy one for around a $100 bucks and if you don't like it, or don't like the sausage hobby you can unload it easy on this site or another.

I have the 15# stuffer from Sausage Maker, it is built very well and should last a life time. The only maintenance is keeping the rubber "O" ring lubed up.

I appreciate all the input. I started to make sausage as a hobby and fell away from it, when I tried t do it using the KA attachment. Had the best brat burgers ever. I am looking at getting back into making sausage. This site has me making bacon, buckboard bacon, and all sorts of BBQ, that 4 years ago, I would never have thought of. I now have an idea of what to get. Appreciate the Brethren coming thorough again.

Having only made sausage once, a 5lb stuffer gets old quick constantly refilling it. Worked awesome though.

MTN gearsmith is what we use at my restaurant. It is rock solid and cleans up nicely. I have the big one, but any of their stuffers are built well and priced right. We make sausage every day and one thing that will break or wear out is nylon gears and plastic tubes. MTN has 2 gears( all metal) and stainless tubes. Hard to beat that deal.

MTN gearsmith is what we use at my restaurant. It is rock solid and cleans up nicely. I have the big one, but any of their stuffers are built well and priced right. We make sausage every day and one thing that will break or wear out is nylon gears and plastic tubes. MTN has 2 gears( all metal) and stainless tubes. Hard to beat that deal.

Plastic tubes make me angry :mad2::mad2:

Larger than what I think I need - check
Stainless steel tubes - check
Tilting canister - check
steel or cast gears - check

Will let you know which one I procured.

Back