Reverse Sear Steelhead, Freeze for shipping??? Food safety question

jimmerjammer

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Tried the search button and google- but didn't find a lot on this specific issue...

I'm wondering about reverse searing steelhead- then vacuum packing and freezing to send to a buddy of mine.

If I cook to the proper temps- then freeze. Is it still safe to reheat and eat?
- Is there a way to minimize dryness when they reheat???

Sorry- this is a new "beast" for me- and don't wanna send a care package full of food poisoning...

Oh, this steelhead would be brined, smoked(with apple or something light) on a UDS until whatever temp- then seared to bring it to the final temp. Then cooled, vac sealed, and frozen. Shipped with dry ice, etc...

thanks,

Jimmy

How far do you have to ship it?
I've received frozen fish from Brethren Phesant in Wisconsin with no problem.

Cowgirl, thanks for the response. I'm either going to ship it from Boise to Phoenix or take it on the plane with me when I go down there... both methods would be frozen even through the Arizona heat...

My main concern is the "danger zone" that I hear so much about regarding chicken and pork. I'm thinking cooking, cooling, then reheating later goes through this "danger zone" too much... But then if its cooked to a high enough temp is all the bacteria dead the first time??? Not sure--- and maybe overthinking- just don't want to cause any food poisoning...

thanks for your response

Back