• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ smoker indoors

bkvanbek

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I want to use a smoker grill in my garage this winter. I have a UDS and a Lyfe Tyme smoker pit. But I am thinking of a Kamado egg, since it has good casters, looks and a damper on top.

Anyone do this? Ideas or thoughts? No lectures please.

You could go with a insulated cooker for the winter, nothing wrong with that. Also you could use your UDS in the cold...I just use a koozie to make it more efficient but there are people that smoke year round in Alaska year round outside.

I had my little mini doing 350* chicken in 20 below, 50 below wind chill.

I do grill and smoke year round outside. But I would enjoy it more in my garage, which will be home not away home, when I get it done.

The vent hood would work, just a little in efficient. But you got me thinking, I could likely get a surplus restaurant one on Craigslist.

wasnt going to say anything because this idea certainly isnt for everyone, but i also have been considering options for smoking in less than ideal conditions, so ill tell you what were going to do.

we have a place here that gives away old pallets, so were going to build a very cheap and very "rustic" smoke shack (with a metal roof, always good to have friends in construction). wont be the fanciest thing you ever saw, but it will keep me at least out of the wind. pics of the build coming this fall :-D

I do grill and smoke year round outside. But I would enjoy it more in my garage, which will be home not away home, when I get it done.

The vent hood would work, just a little in efficient. But you got me thinking, I could likely get a surplus restaurant one on Craigslist.

For the amount of smoke, you will need something more robust than a consumer kitchen vent hood.

I wish I could find the post, but some time ago someone at The Virtual Weber site did a big post about CO2 levels when cooking in various enclosed spaces. Cooking on a WSM in the garage with the garage door wide open, the CO2 levels were still crazy high.

I don't have too much input here but want to point out that while the egg can be had on wheels, you would need to be extremely careful moving it. The small caster catching on so much as a zip tie in the garage could have it heading for the floor.

For the amount of smoke, you will need something more robust than a consumer kitchen vent hood.

I wish I could find the post, but some time ago someone at The Virtual Weber site did a big post about CO2 levels when cooking in various enclosed spaces. Cooking on a WSM in the garage with the garage door wide open, the CO2 levels were still crazy high.

I couldn't find a decent commercial hood on Craigslist just now. Maybe hooking a chimney to an egg is still the way to go.

what about using a large shop fan that is set at the doorway to "pull" the smoke out. Maybe have a window open or something and put the smoker just behind the fan. I think the fans cost around 150 or so but they move alot of air.

I couldn't find a decent commercial hood on Craigslist just now. Maybe hooking a chimney to an egg is still the way to go.

Seen someone on a forum somewhere that tried this.. and it failed miserably. From what I remember the guy had nothing but temperature troubles no matter what diameter/length of chimney he used. Had a hard time keeping it sealed up tight. I am tossing around the idea of getting one of those semi-portable car port cover gizmos. Not the kind with fabric for a roof, the kind with a metal roof. When cooking outdoors in the cooler weather just build a small campfire near it and put the cookers under it. Would imagine this might not work for folks with HOA's or that live on a postage stamp sized city lot....

I cooked on my Stump's Smoker and closed it down and waited four hours to cool off and decided to put it in the garage . shut the garage door and 10 minutes later the carbon monoxide detector started going off , I guess it was still releasing gas off . what ever you do just make sure you have adequate ventilation . :wink:

Not to lecture but just be safe. Realistically you should only be going outside to put the meat on, take it off and maybe check it to probe.

To me braving the elements adds to the fun...although i move my cookers under open air cover for convenience.

I am always worried about maintaining temps when it is cold out. I use my pellet pooper in the winter and it struggles to maintain temp. I have put in just inside my garage door with the door open and not had any issues. I didn't find that to be the best idea however. I now have a wool blanket that I cover the top with to keep the heat in. It works wonders for me. I can then move that smoker to just outside the garage so that there is adequate air flow (at least in my mind). In the garage with closed doors would be out of the question for me. You don't live far from me, so I understand your struggle.

Huh?

Not to lecture but just be safe. Realistically you should only be going outside to put the meat on, take it off and maybe check it to probe.

To me braving the elements adds to the fun...although i move my cookers under open air cover for convenience.

Agree with this last part. It is fun to get outside in November for a turkey or December for a Christmas feast. January and February can be fun too! Makes for a longer cook, but what the heck.

On the first point, however, I can't agree.

I'll lecture, sorry. Too many posts going back and forth walking on glass to be polite. Your safety is the question and that of your family, your home and your neighbors. Why risk it? A hood? A fan? Really?

This is a dumb idea when leaving the cooker outside where it belongs is no real problem.

There, said it. Sorry. :tape:

Dad would grill in the garage when it started to rain when I was a kid. Had a shop fan at the back of the garage that forced everything outside. Man loved his BBQ. Never a problem.

Funny people will fry chicken in a skillet full of grease on a open flame gas stove in their kitchen but not grill or smoke in their garage. :twitch:

The obvious answer is Blackstone- outside

Last edited:
Back