25 Pork Butts!

Right on Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I've agreed to cook some pork butts for charity for a family friend that was in a car accident. After a few weeks of selling them we've got 25 butts to cook on Memorial Day weekend now. Sysco is donating 20 butts for the cause. :eusa_clap

I've got a Humphrey's Pint that will hold about 8 butts as well as 2 22 WSMs and 2 18 WSMs. I can fit all 25 butts on the smokers but I don't want to watch 5 fires at one time if I can help it.

My main question is would it be easier to do all of them in 1 batch on 4 or 5 smokers or do them in 2 batches on 2 smokers?

I have to hand them out Sunday afternoon but have all day Saturday to cook them. I was thinking to smoke them for 3-4 hours at 250 to get a good bark then wrap them to finish. We will be handing them out wrapped in foil (cold I'm thinking with instructions)

I was planning on injecting them for better flavor but now I'm rethinking that. Any suggestions about cooking or anything else that will make the process easier?

Yeah. If they aren't going to be served hot off the press, then I would go with the easier but a little more time consuming multiple batches.

I would do multiple batches, once they are wrapped you could even finish them in the oven so you could start the next batch sooner.

That's an excellent idea. My main concern for doing batches was that it would take a long time to get them all done.

Any suggestions on a good all purpose rub/sauce for them?

I was thinking yardbird, killer hogs (local guys), sweet swine of mine (local guys) or something of the like

Killer Hogs "The BBQ Rub" is what I use and everyone seems to really like it. I usually sprinkle on a little SP and then put a good topping of the killer hogs on top.

Have you ever used his sauce to glaze the butts towards the end?

Looks great on his videos. Never used his sauce or rubs but I've heard great things about them.

Hmmm... One batch = about 10 hours of work. Two batches = about 20 hours of work. Three batches = about 30 hours of work. And those totals are probably light of prep and finish time...

I'd fire them all up and burn one day...

I'd be leery of putting sauce on them because not everyone likes there pulled pork sauced. As for rubs, there's lots of options but good ole SPOG is real easy and real good. If this is a fund raiser, get somebody to donate jars of sauce and sell them at pick up time, maybe.

Does anyone near you have a larger smoker? I would answer one batch, but that is highly influenced by the fact that I could do all 25 in my Lang with room to spare

What's the point of having 5 cookers if you're not going to use them?

Fire up all of the pits at once. Tending that many cookers is not that hard to do, especially the ones that you have.

I often tend four 18.5" WSMs, cooking anywhere from 16 to 20 butts. It's not difficult.

Of the rubs you mentioned, Yardbird is the only one I have used. It's a good rub. If I didn't have my own signature rub, I would go with one of the local rubs.

YMMV.

Thanks for all the input. Haven't decided which way to go yet but I'll try to get pictures when I cook them up

And yes there are quite a few folks in my area with a smoker large enough for the whole cook. Most of them are competing that weekend though

Hey neighbor,your 22 inch WSM' will hold 8 each.You have to put 3 on each rack and stack one on top.You can rotate them around a couple times and they will cook evenly.I have done it several times.That way you would only have to use 3 cookers.You could even put 5 on one rack and that would give you the 25 total on 3 cookers.If you do not want to pile them up like that you could easily do 25 on the pint 2,22's and an 18.

Crank up the heat and git r done. Maybe there is a Brethren member in your area with a big rig who can help out.

Final tally is 32 butts. :shock:

Anyone in the area have a smoker I can borrow for Memorial Day weekend?

Having a helper is a great idea. Not one of the guys that will get in your way, but an actual helper. 32 is a big number, and moral support alone is well worth having someone there.

Back