Quick! Pork butt time and temp?

Aceman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I wanted to do more pulled pork today. Trying the h&f method, I put 2, 8lb butts on @10am @300*. We invited the inlaws over for 6. My current temp is 177* at 3:15pm. I'm looking for 203. I know about the cambro thing, but I'd rather avoid that. If I turn it down to 225-250* will that slow it down for 6pm? Or, if i let it run @300* will it hit 203* at 5:30-6?

Thanks, Aceman

I wouldn't slow it down. If anything speed it up a bit so you have some rest/cooling time between removing it from the heat and pulling.

^^^^^ Exactly, better sooner than later. You need time for it to rest at least 1/2 hour.

Sometimes I pull one at 160, cube it, throw it in a pan,
add more rub and sauce, and have Pork Burnt Ends, very tasty.
That butt will hold heat forever, if it's early, just cover w/ towels in a cooler.

Well, I let it go @300* for the duration, but still had to crank it up at the very end. I got 203* IT, let them sit for 10 and 20 minutes... Still tough as heck to pull apart with the bear claws! What's the reason for that? Therm is accurate (did the boiling water test at least) and the meat was tender and juicy when eating it. Even the bone was clean.

Thanks, Aceman

Well, I let it go @300* for the duration, but still had to crank it up at the very end. I got 203* IT, let them sit for 10 and 20 minutes... Still tough as heck to pull apart with the bear claws! What's the reason for that? Therm is accurate (did the boiling water test at least) and the meat was tender and juicy when eating it. Even the bone was clean.

Thanks, Aceman

For the connective tissue to break down, you need to hit a certain temperature, and you need to be at or above that point for a certain amount of time. Increasing the temp heats up the meat quicker, but you still need time to get fall apart tender. That is why people observe that the "done temp" increases when you cook at higher temps. The truth is, the temp needed to finish is not really any higher, but you end up at a higher temp because of the extra time needed.

Back