Untrimmed Tri-Tip

Evil-g

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was in Cincinnati for the holiday and went to Jungle Jims and they had Tri-Tip for 7.99lb. so I got a few pounds. When I got back to Pittsburgh I took them out to vac-seal them and the one side had a nice layer of fat on it. Not a problem I just trimmed them down and vac sealed. Every photo of Tri-Tip I've ever seen looks like they come come trimmed down already as do most on here too. I get the supermarket makes extra money on the fat. Has this been your experience?

You can typically order Tri tip 2 ways. Peeled (fat removed) or not. Peeled is slightly more expensive, but usually worth it after you figure waste and labor to remove. Grocery store is passing the buck off to the consumer

Anyone local you suggest buying tri-tip from?

If you don't mind paying 10.99-12.99 per pound you can buy from:
1. Whole Paycheck (choose from service meat case)
2. Trader Joe's (cryovaced)
3. McGinness Sisters (choose from service meat case)
4. Sam's Club (shot up and marinated) 5.97 and doesn't taste bad at all.
5. Butcher shop on Butler St. in Lawrenceville and a butcher shop on Liberty Ave. in Bloomfield I forget booth names.

Before I pay that kind of cash I'll buy prime rib. GFS has boneless rib roast for 8.99lb. this week.

Out here we get them both trimmed and untrimmed. I always go for trimmed because at the end untrimmed after trimming costs you more.

For instance, Albertson's has untrimmed for $3.99/lb and Ralphs (Kroger) has trimmed for $4.77/lb. No brainer there especially since the Ralphs choice tri tips blow away the competition. I even prefer Ralphs choice over Costco prime.

I haven't tried tri-tip yet on the smoker but from the looks of it, it could be treated just like brisket. Is that the case or are there differences?

I haven't tried tri-tip yet on the smoker but from the looks of it, it could be treated just like brisket. Is that the case or are there differences?

The opposite actually. Hot and fast or what I prefer to do is reverse sear them to rare or med rare. Cut across the grain and enjoy.

Yes they are quite different. Most reverse sear to about 135° and then sear to 140-145°, I use this method. The grain also runs in two different directions so you'll need to be careful when slicing. They are almost indistinguishable when cooked, I watched videos and now I'm good at cutting them.

Out here we get them both trimmed and untrimmed. I always go for trimmed because at the end untrimmed after trimming costs you more.

For instance, Albertson's has untrimmed for $3.99/lb and Ralphs (Kroger) has trimmed for $4.77/lb. No brainer there especially since the Ralphs choice tri tips blow away the competition. I even prefer Ralphs choice over Costco prime.

Stop bragging:grin:

I cook tri tip with fat cap on most of the time. Requires a bit more attention so you don't burn it, but worth it for the flavor IMO. I let it rest fat cap up, then trim the whole thing off when I start cutting. It comes off very easily that way. Less bark, but more flavor. It's a trade off.

In SoCal we usually pay $1 more for trimmed Tri-Tip. This week Stater Brothers has trimmed TT for $2.99/lb. They generally sell USDA Select grade, but the beauty of Tri-Tip is the marbling is exposed and you choose accordingly.

Tri-Tip is my choice of steak nowadays, as I can afford it! I separate the whole roast into 2 pieces by grain direction, and cut against the grain into 2" steaks. A light pound with my open hand usually yields steaks about 1 1/2" thick, perfect for grilling.

Wow! I would hate paying those back east prices for Tri-Tip. Unlike the great and venerable ssv3, I prefer the Costco ones. But that is just a matter of preference. I usually get them through my work. It comes on the Sysco truck and runs around $2.27 per pound untrimmed if you by it by the case. If I'm only doing one or two I like to cook indirect on the Weber pretty hot until 130-135 IT then right over the coals for about 2-3 min per side. If you ever make it out to CA buy a bunch!

Wow! I would hate paying those back east prices for Tri-Tip. Unlike the great and venerable ssv3, I prefer the Costco ones. But that is just a matter of preference. I usually get them through my work. It comes on the Sysco truck and runs around $2.27 per pound untrimmed if you by it by the case. If I'm only doing one or two I like to cook indirect on the Weber pretty hot until 130-135 IT then right over the coals for about 2-3 min per side. If you ever make it out to CA buy a bunch!

That's a great price for untrimmed Josh and worth it at that price. As for the Ralphs tri tips, they're comparable to Costco prime. I've consistently been getting some awesome TT's from there and at less than $5/lb I can't complain.

Here pics of last time I bought from Ralphs. Can't beat the marbling of this choice at sub $5lb IMO. Dave(SmokEat) made a good point about the marbling on TT"s is exposed where you have a very good idea of what you're getting.

Made burgers out of this one :behindsofa: They make KILLER burgers.

1kMzAPBh.jpg

fwVeIEOh.jpg

vEfxtNDh.jpg

That's a great price for untrimmed Josh and worth it at that price. As for the Ralphs tri tips, they're comparable to Costco prime. I've consistently been getting some awesome TT's from there and at less than $5/lb I can't complain.

Here pics of last time I bought from Ralphs. Can't beat the marbling of this choice at sub $5lb IMO. Dave(SmokEat) made a good point about the marbling on TT"s is exposed where you have a very good idea of what you're getting.

Made burgers out of this one :behindsofa: They make KILLER burgers.

1kMzAPBh.jpg

fwVeIEOh.jpg

vEfxtNDh.jpg

That's a mighty fine patty right there! At $5 per I see why you would go that route.

Back