• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's the best beginner project ??

LDawg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My smoker arrives Wednesday and I want to smoke something delicious but not too easy ,
Kind of meat
Cut of meat
And how to cook it .
So what do you guys think ?
Of course I want to impress my Wife .)

Yup, I'd go with a pork butt. Pulled pork is a real treat and hard to screw up...

^^^... what they said, pork butt. Forget the injections, forgo the wrapping, cook it as simple as possible and learn how your new smoker works.

You'll love the results.

Pork Butt you can cook it at 225 - 350 and anywhere in between, I'm sure others have cooked it at higher temperatures than that. If cooking at higher temps use a rub with less sugar because it will burn or wrap when you get the color you're looking for.

Chuck Roast for pulled beef is good to, smoke to 165, wrap (I prefer butcher paper over foil) and pull when probe tender which is usually around an IT of 210 for me give or a few degrees. I like to cook at 300 for CR and PB if you are cooking at lower temps than the IT will be lower when it's done.

Good luck with your cook.

I got a Berkshire folding table looks like a butcher block on top, then I got a Green Mountain Davy Crockett.
I have been grilling for quite a while but I never owned a smoker, also used to brine quite a bit but usually that was Turkeys on Thanksgiving, they turned out really well.
Time really isn't an issue as I am retired, so I just want some good barbecue and do it right.
Thanks for all the ideas.

Last edited:
I agree with the pork butt. It is a very forgiving cook, no need to sweat the small stuff. It's a great way to learn the ins and outs of your new smoker. Have fun and enjoy!

I tried looking around the Forum but I could not figure out what is a fatty lol ?
Now I'm curious.

I remember when I was in the same boat lol. Tell you what...go to your local grocery store and find the breakfast sausage section. Pick up any one of the one pound Jimmy Deans or Owens or whatever looks good to you...the kind in the plastic hog-clipped cylindrical tube shape. Get home and open up the plastic wrap, sprinkle with your favorite bbq rub or don't, wrap it in a bacon weave or don't...throw it on your brand new smoker and christen it your first fatty cooker. You won't be disappointed.

Did you say wrap it with bacon I would eat my own foot if I wrapped in bacon lol,
That sounds delicious I could probably even put something inside the sausage, ?
Thanks a lot for all the advice from everyone I think I will try everything :Q lol can't wait to get smoking !!!

I like to smoke a plain fatty with rub and then crumble it up into white gravy and throw some biscuits on the pellet grill and cook those too.

Everything comes out great.

OK went to the recipe sight I noticed some of the recipes tell you what to put in your water pan now I did have a smoker about 15 years ago and it did have water pan, but my new pellet smoker will not have one ? That I know of.
I forgot I even had that smoker I used to be able to put 4 yard birds in there and they came out delicious.
So I just use the same recipe minus the water

What should be my first type of pellets to smoke with ?
Mesquite ?

I typically use a blend with pork. I mix apple/pecan or apple/oak or hickory/apple . Mesquite wouldn't be my first choice for pork.

OK went to the recipe sight I noticed some of the recipes tell you what to put in your water pan now I did have a smoker about 15 years ago and it did have water pan, but my new pellet smoker will not have one ? That I know of.
I forgot I even had that smoker I used to be able to put 4 yard birds in there and they came out delicious.
So I just use the same recipe minus the water

Many folks just get a small restaurant pan, fill with some water or other liquid, and place inside the cook chamber near the heat source.

Many folks just get a small restaurant pan, fill with some water or other liquid, and place inside the cook chamber near the heat source.

I would skip this step on a pellet smoker. Typically I inject with Apple juice/ACV @ 3:1 then spray with Apple juice every hour for the first 3 hours. This helps generate a really nice dark bark and doesn't require any additional moisture from a water pan

Back