• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

american royal health dept tosses food

Just our government looking out for the best interest of us........stupid farker, I'd guess he had never been hungry in his life, just very sad!

Kooker's Kare has been doing this for years I believe. We participated in it in '06 and '16. No one's suffered so far from their food donations over the years. Looks like an inspector didn't use common sense. Sucks.

And our government says trust us more and give more of your lives over to us....

I know this sucks but the inspector couldn't track where the food came from if he gives it a pass and someone gets sick then they are liable for a multimillion dollar lawsuit. I think some fault needs to put on the Harvesters for not getting prior approval from the health dept... Which is too bad because it is a great cause that we have participated in.

This situation sucked, but probably could have been avoided if the organizers had looked into local laws regarding food preparation and handling, which exist for a reason.

I know, how dare I mention the big bad government and their pesky regulations which provide most of us with reasonably safe food, safe roads, safe water, safe buildings etc. Industry has proven time and time again they can regulate themselves in the interest of public safety, right?

This really bothered me. I am currently trying to figure out how next weekend my team can go cook some food for the needy. Anyone know how we can go about this? Would be fun to get a big group of local teams and try to feed as many as possible and give the HD the finger along the way.

This really bothered me. I am currently trying to figure out how next weekend my team can go cook some food for the needy. Anyone know how we can go about this? Would be fun to get a big group of local teams and try to feed as many as possible and give the HD the finger along the way.

I hear you but let's be realistic giving The health dept the middle finger is a bad idea. Might be a better idea to contact them and organize something that has the health dept approval so this doesn't happen again. In All honesty I doubt they felt good about telling them to destroy the food. They probably would be on board to help you set something up as it's Probably a PR nightmare.

I would contact the health dept and see if they have any ideas how to pull something off and maybe start a gofundme campaign. Maybe contact Kookers k are as They may want to do something to fix it.

Sure there were some apparent screw ups but cookers k are might be the first ones to contact. Better to try to work with the organization and the health dept

I may be wrong because the Royal is too far away for me to go every year and compete, but I think Kookers Kare has done this successfully for years. For the HD to throw out the food this year b/c of its unknown origins makes no sense.

Probably the best way would be to contact a shelter in the area, or a food kitchen that feeds the homeless and schedule something with them. This way you are on-site and they know the source of the food.

I may be wrong because the Royal is too far away for me to go every year and compete, but I think Kookers Kare has done this successfully for years. For the HD to throw out the food this year b/c of its unknown origins makes no sense.

Wonder if it made a difference since the AR was held in Kansas instead of Missouri, it could be local politics.......

HD rules are made to protect the public. That being said, a bit of common sense should have been exercised. The shelter knew where it came from and the phone could have been used. Unfortunately, the knee jerk reaction to liability issues, by the book enforcement, and robotic implementation resulted in the waste.

Been there and had it happen to me. Thru away 500 pounds of pulled pork. I wish that the enforcers would consider from whence the homeless oft times get their food. The dumpster in back of restaurants come to mind.

This reminds me of a similar situation when I was younger. When the arena where the Utah Jazz played first opened, they had 4 or 5 Hardee's restaurants on the concession floor. While we were training to be cooks, we went through 100's of hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, etc. Rather than throw them all in the trash, we (the cooks) would drop it off at the local homeless shelter about a block away. After 3 or 4 days of doing this, the higher up's told us to stop because it could come back on them if someone got sick. So unfortunately, it was in the trash with all the extra food. It really sucked.

You have to remember the Royal is not in Missouri any more, it's now in Kansas. New county health dept this year.
If you want to raise money for a local food bank, the best way would be to hold a back yard event and invite your friends and family, and collect money from them to give to the food bank.

After 3 or 4 days of doing this, the higher up's told us to stop because it could come back on them if someone got sick. So unfortunately, it was in the trash with all the extra food. It really sucked.

Actually, they were wrong about that, or at least would be today. There is a federal law (Good Samaritan Act) that shields establishments from liability. That applies to retail products and food prepared in a licensed facility. In the case of the food from the Royal, neither of these things were true, so it wouldn't apply for that case.

That said, Kookers Care has been doing this for decades. They have served tens of thousands of meals, with no big food poisoning outbreaks. In this case, the regulators were within the scope of the law, but could have exercised better judgement. Kookers Care exercises food safety procedures in what they collect, how it is stored, and transported. As I understand it, nobody from the health department bothered to contact them to inquire about how the food was handled.

Back