Trip from Georgia to Colorado

Harlin

Reaction score
My wife and I went on a trip to Georgia and after visiting there, drove back via the southern route: AL, TN, AR, OK, TX, NM, CO.

While on the way back we stopped at some BBQ places. We hit one on each day (3 day trip, no hurry). We stopped at Brad's BBQ in Anniston, AL; at DeltaQ in Forrest City, AR and Tyler's in Amarillo, TX.

Brad's BBQ in AL was ok. I got the ribs. As is somewhat typical for Alabama ribs, they are not crockpot "fall off the bone" (I'm ok with that) but they should be very tender. They were a little tough. The sides were good -- I got the standard cole slaw and collard greens. Their coleslaw was good and so were the collard greens. It was good to eat those as it can be a little hard to find those here in Colorado. And of course, in Alabama they do get sweet tea right -- not too sweet but sweet and it tastes like tea -- not like sugar water :)

We stopped at DeltaQ in Arkansas. This place was good. As an appetizer, they give you a bowl of fresh fried chicharrones (pork skins). I have to admit that's the first time I've seen that at a BBQ joint. I got the pulled pork. It was pretty good. The sides were great. They actually had a bar in the place which you don't see too often in BBQ joints. And like most places down south, the folks were very friendly.

The last day was the best. I've only had real Texas brisket a handful of times. I never did get excited about it much. Seemed to me that it was not quite as good as BBQ pork. And now I'm pretty certain I've been going to the wrong places. My favorite BBQ place has always been The Pompous Pig (near Anderson, SC) and the original Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, AL. But, I think I now must put Tyler's in Amarillo up there at the top. I didn't have their pork but I do plan to go back and test the ribs. If they are half as good as the brisket they serve, I'll have to hand over the Harlin BBQ Trophy to them.

That place was fantastic. I got to overhear the owner talk to a media guy while we there. You can tell this guy is very passionate and dedicated to his craft. The sides also were very good. I always try beans and cole slaw to make sure the minors are covered. Their coleslaw was great. The beans were Texas chili beans. Not much my thing but I could find no fault with them. I usually don't eat much dessert but this time I did get their peach cobbler. This is very different from the peach cobbler that you get in the deep south. It had cinnamon on it, had a nice baked crust and I enjoyed every bite of it. I look forward very much to coming back to this place.

Thanks for posting! Sounds like a nice trip.

Back