New Vertical Offset

Smokin J's PIts

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok,
We have finally started our first in our entry level production line, we are taking the best from several different builds that we like and with a lot of help from Peeps we have decided to build an offset vertical smoker, main cooking chamber will be 24 X 24 X 48 with a 24 X 24 X 24 fire box that will also double as a grill. Anyhow this is where we are at after day two of working on it, day one was mainly cutting and organizing materials, day two we got most of the cabinet done and due to unfortunate circumstances (Wife’s, and Work) this is where we are in a holding pattern until later in the week.

Last edited:
Nice start - 3/16? I always struggle with what gauge steel to build with; the most common comment I get from clients is "man it is heavy".

It seems like the Bandera style is really getting popular again. With 8 24x24 racks that thing will hold a crap-load of meat!

Nice start - 3/16? I always struggle with what gauge steel to build with; the most common comment I get from clients is "man it is heavy".

I'm guessing it's 3/16th, it was sold as 9 gauge, but yes it is getting very heavy very quick

It seems like the Bandera style is really getting popular again. With 8 24x24 racks that thing will hold a crap-load of meat!

Even though it is set up for eight racks it will only have four for the main chamber and the one from the grill can also be used, that way it will offer better air circulation

No conceit in that statement:rolleyes::razz: Coming along nice 48" looks huge in a vertical once you start adding racks.

48 is quite big but when I was cutting the steel I just couldn't cut off that extra bit, so we left it and spaced out the racks a little more

Ok it has been way over due, and thanks to work and family commitments, behind me now we are back on track building our smoker. As you see it in the pics some of it looks off and it is, most of it is just tacked in and that’s where we had to stop, but rest assured that it will get plumbed and squared before final weld in. Let’s start with the lid, this is what consumed the most of the time, between welding it out inside and out, and then doing the initial grinding and smoothing on the outside. I also got the trap door made for the ash under where the fire basket will sit finished, and We got the bottom plate on the front of the cooking chamber in with the rails for the tuning plates, on the top side I also got the top plate installed welded inside and out and most of the outside ground down, up nest is to tweak everything and make it fit right finish welding out and the tackle the doors, baffle, and tuning plates and exhaust next weekend, Stay tuned for more excitement.

Last edited:
Hey, I sure dig that design! Nice progress!!!

Nice looking build! Can't wait to see the final product and see how it cooks!

Bruce

I am digging that ash tray trap! That was the biggest problem I had with my original Bandera. It was really hard to get all the ash out of the fire box. Great looking build.

Omar

I am digging that ash tray trap! That was the biggest problem I had with my original Bandera. It was really hard to get all the ash out of the fire box. Great looking build.

Omar

A removable ash pan works really good and gives it a little more hear retention. Love the design smokin J. If I were to add 1 piece of constructive concern... I just wonder if the trap door will leak ash/ heat after a period of time if it warps a tad bit. I guess the idea is that you can have a metal bucket or something underneath the firebox and sweep the ashes into it? Can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck!

A removable ash pan works really good and gives it a little more hear retention. Love the design smokin J. If I were to add 1 piece of constructive concern... I just wonder if the trap door will leak ash/ heat after a period of time if it warps a tad bit. I guess the idea is that you can have a metal bucket or something underneath the firebox and sweep the ashes into it? Can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck!

I hope it won’t leak any ash, I have at least a 1 inch overlap on three sides, and 1/2 at the end with the round bar, i may be wrong but I don’t think it will leak much heat either, my thought and I may be wrong is that the majority of the heat will travel up, that’s one of the reasons I made the opening into the cooking chamber a little on the large side, so it would in theory at least again I think would at worst maybe pull a little suction and get a bit of a draft until a good coat of ashes are built up. And when I built the frame under it out of angle I did it so one of the disposable turkey pans, or a hotel pan will fit in the angle under it to catch the dumped ash, besides you can’t really see it in the pics very well but the floor is sloped ½” lower on the cook chamber side with two ¼” weep holes in the corners just in case water gets in there it won’t settle in the trap door and rust it shut, as well as the trap door is bent up if that makes since to force water away from it, it made it hard as hell to get it to slide properly but I spent the extra time on it.

Back