Vertical Smokers - does the drip from level to level impact lower meats?

PaulstheRibList

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This BBQ thing is fun, and I keep going deeper!

I'm thinking about how I could cook more and maybe sleep more...so I'm exploring adding an insulated vertical cabinet smoker to the inventory.

Here is what I cooked on my new stickburner this past weekend
IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

I've had the brisket at some of the top places on the Texas Monthly list (Pecan Lodge, Lockhart Smokehouse, Louie Mueller), and LOVE the beautiful black bark on those, and have been working to do something similar. This past weekend's results were my best yet.

MY QUESTION: What is the impact of the upper racks dripping on the meats on the lower racks?

Does it impact the appearance of the meats on the lower shelves?

Does it impact the flavor of the meats on the lower shelves?

The insulated vertical smokers add a lot of capacity and for the pellet and gravity feed varieties, a lot less tending of the fire. But I would love to hear from some of you who use them how the meats dripping on meats impacts them?

Thanks!
paul

I haven't noticed much impact, if any. My only concern is to make sure I never put something raw over something that's been in there awhile. Like putting chicken in on top of a butt you've had in for hours. Usually I'll have ribs or butt or whatever up top and if they drip on chicken or whatever is below I consider that a bonus!

I'm with Wayne...if I get a little pork juice dripping on the chicken, that's just added flavor!

I'd just make sure to never put chicken on the top rack. Unless of course there is more chicken underneath it.

The issues with dripping from one rack to the other are sometimes grease from your grates if they are not really clean. It gets kind of black and nasty and you will have smokey-black "rain drops" coming down. If you keep your racks clean, no problem. If you don't you may have some black grease drips on the below food. It doesn't taste good and it will mess up your bark in the spots that it drips on.

Generally not an issue with pork and brisket. Some guys like to put butts above brisket for the basting effect, but I don't think it really makes a difference. Ribs, if you are concerned about nice uniform color, do best on top or below foiled/panned food. I do like having control over it vs. a rotisserie. I can't believe how many BBQ joints put raw chicken on the rotisserie smokers where it will drip on cooked brisket and butts. No thanks.

Ribs are the only meat I don't want something on top of. I hate the black grease/fat drippings screwing up the appearance of my ribs. Typically ribs go on the top shelf or the big meats are in foil pans above ribs.

Almost not at all. Just remember never put chicken above anything else and butts and ribs on top of briskets..

Back