Galvanised

MOULDYAPPLE

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Does it matter if the expanded metal used for the coal basket was Galvanised?

It's bad but some say you can burn it off with high heat but then it won't last as long either.

From what I understand, it doesn't get poisonous until really high heats. But, do you really want to take the chance?

I wouldn't use it...

not at all thoey1963.. definitely answred that question...

I'm suggling to find some 800x800 sheets, kind limited to ebay and amazon right now, will drive t coule building merhants over the weekend see if anything turns up.
P.S - the uk is rubbish for this kinda thing

I'm suggling to find some 800x800 sheets, kind limited to ebay and amazon right now, will drive t coule building merhants over the weekend see if anything turns up.

Use chrome baskets off amazon

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Diversified-47970-Storage-Basket/dp/B000QGRY3Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1464381887&sr=8-15&keywords=Mesh+basket"]Amazon.com: Spectrum Diversified 47970 Storage Basket, Medium, Chrome: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Chd26pEhL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Chd26pEhL[/ame]

I would not use it and I would not weld it. Now, there are times when there is no choice but to start with galvanized parts but I've had pretty good luck sandblasting with a pretty aggressive media to strip the galvanized plating.

smittyjonz, love the idea but on the uk amazon that basket is nearly 60 pounds the equivalent to nearly 90 dollars..... maybe shipping from your end will be cheaper ill take a look, cheers

If you can get your hands on some bare steel rods you can make one.

Hi I bought a 8'x4' sheet of expanded metal from a metal supplier in Rainham Essex called FH Brundle. They are what seems to me a metal whole seller they will sell to anyone. I think they have a few branches all over. They are definitely cheaper than going to Fab shops or merchants. They charged me a £10 for delivery and I think I paid £57 for the expanded metal.

If you don't need all of the 8x4 put what you have left over on eBay

Back