• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren Cooking for 1000 Troops *We need your help!!**

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Folks,

It has been a long time since I've posted a "Call to Arms" as we used to name it, but now its necessary. We are asking for some help to feed our Sailors and Marines and give them a well-deserved BBQ Gala during Fleet week 2016 in NYC.

As many already know, The BBQ Brethren often do what we do best to support our troops. We cook. Last year, the NY/LI contingent cooked for 150 marines at a fallen Marines Memorial; we are in our 5th year cooking for 800 at the Northport Veterans Hospital; and we supply veterans families thanksgiving dinners over the holidays. But this May, we are in for the biggest one ever.

This May25, we have been honored with a request to cook for 1000 active duty Sailors and Marines and some WW II Vets. Of Course, we humbly accepted this unbelievable honor.

The BBQ Brethren members and volunteers are feeding 1000 sailors as they arrive in NYC for fleet week. We will be right there, front and center for the parade of ships as they enter NY harbor. We will be stationed at The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal Pier to greet the sailors from 3 of the naval ships as they disembark.

The original request was too cook for all the sailors arriving on 2 USN Destroyers(approximately 650 Sailors). We have learned recently that an additional ship, a US Coast Guard Cutter will be joining us, adding approximately another 300 troops.

This is a private event, not open to the public. Upon arrival, at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, our sailors will be greeted with Live Music, The USO, A Color Guard, FDNY Flag displays,
and The BBQ Brethren members, setup for a full service Southern Style BBQ. Its going to be a gala event for our troops.

Our team has worked tirelessly to get sponsorship, and have gotten help from large sponsors such as Pepsi cola, Mcormick, Uline, Sugar in the Raw and Sailor Jerry to name a few. Additionally, Paul Shirley of Shirley Fabrications is personally delivering a pit he is donating to us specifically for this event and future Military events. He is also bringing several Brethren members with him from Alabama with their pits. We have pitmasters coming in from NY, NY, IL, AL and GA and volunteers from all over the NY/NJ/LI area. The Brethren will REPRESENT!!

However, at this point we have no source for the proteins and have estimated costs to be well over $3000. We are hoping to do chickens, ribs, tri tips, pork loins, sausage, etc... and a bunch of sides and desserts. This is where you all come in.

So we are 5 weeks out, our numbers have now increased >30% and with that came additional unplanned expenditures. In the past we(BBQ-Brethren) were always able to fund these events with our ad revenue, so this is uncomfortable for me to ask, but between the loss of traffic to facebook and the use of ad blockers on our site, our monthly ad revenue has decreased substantially. This is the main revenue stream we have used to fund these events, and the decrease will not allow us to fund it completely. BBQ Brethren org is currently donating at least $1000-1500 to the event but with the 30-40% increase in the size of the event, we are looking to our BBQ Family to help out, so we have setup a GOFUNDME to help offset some costs.

We are also welcoming any product donations.. sauces, rubs, supplies etc that anyone may be willing to send and of course signage will display our supporters.

The Fleet week team appreciates any and all donations that we get.. We WILL make this event a success and every $$ will go towards making it a memorable experience for our troops.

Thanks for you help folks.. I know BBQ Brethren has always come thru from us in the past and we will this time too.

Here you can see where we are listed on their events page..
http://www.fleetweeknewyork.com/fleetweeknewyork/events.html

This is the facebook page, we are listed there too.
https://www.facebook.com/FleetWeekNewYork/?fref=ts

General info about us and the event
www.fleetweekbbq.com

OK... I kicked it off with my donation! I also shared this on Facebook.

I know that not everyone is in a position to help, but if you are able, please donate to thei great cause!

Why Veterans? Why Brooklyn?

For those that aren't local and weren't aware, the Brooklyn Navy Yard was one of, if not the largest shipyard during WWII. It was opened in 1801 and was closed 50 years ago.

Fleet Week NY is usually centered on and limited to Manhattan. 50 years after the closing of the Navy Yard, they are bringing in 3 ships to Brooklyn. This may never happen again.

If we (the BBQ community) weren't going to be involved in this, there would be nothing happening for the Sailors/Marines when they disembark in Brooklyn. Nothing. There are many HUGE events taking place in Manhattan for the Sailors/Marines disembarking there and we were happy to grab this opportunity to be the 'welcome' face to meet those coming to Brooklyn after serving our nation.

The inclusion of WWII veterans was an obvious and natural step. Many of them served on ships that were proudly crafted in Brooklyn.

It shouldn't go without mention that this event is taking place on the Wednesday prior to Memorial Day.

This is going to be an amazing day!

31263250.jpg

Last edited:
Back