Does silver-skin REALLY not render?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I was trimming a strip-loin roast (where you get NY strips from) to cook as a whole roast and serve as sliced roast beef.

I removed the entire fat cap on top of the roast because I wanted to pre-season/salt overnight. There is a layer of silver skin under that fat which I also trimmed off, but I got to thinking about my NY Strip steaks, and they often include some of that fat which I'm about 99% sure I've eaten plenty of. So that means I ate silverskin and didn't even realize it.

Thoughts?

Yes, you ate silver skin. Not a big thing to worry about. If it’s easy to trim off then trim it. If it’s hidden between muscles under fat that you don’t want to trim, leave it and you can either eat it or trim it as you eat it.

It was already mentioned, but I'll add a bit. Silver skin is what's known as elastin...essentially it's a layer on top of muscles and connective tissues to add support. Elastin is comprised of protein so it will not render (or melt) during the cooking process. Just think about the meat of a rib...does the meat melt? No, the fat melts (or renders).

As long as I'm able to remove the silver skin then I will. I've tried leaving it on a rack of pork ribs and it's not terrible, but there is absolutely a noticeable layer of chewiness that really feels out of place.

Ok so it doesn't render because it is a protein and not a fat. Onboard with that.

What transformation does it undergo with time and heat then? I imagine like other proteins, as it loses water if shrinks. Anything else?

Back