Choice Angus vs. Snake River black label brisket

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
There's a butcher's shop that is about 40 minutes from my house that I've just heard about. On their Facebook page, they are advertising choice Angus brisket for $2.99/lb. They also have Snake River Farms black label brisket for $9.99/lb. Based on the SRF website, I believe the black label brisket is "American Wagu" I'm hoping to get by there on Saturday and pick up one of the SRF briskets and several of the choice briskets. Since I don't cook brisket often enough to know the difference, my big question is will I be able to taste a difference between the two cuts of meat? Assume that the cook starts at the same time, in the same smoker, using the same wrapping methods, and with identical rubs and injections.

Thanks.

Completely agree with the above. If you aren't a brisket expert I'd cook only choice for a while before upping the quality of the beef.

I've seen plenty of prime briskets beat wagyu briskets in competitions.

In general the Wagyu should be better. That said you can find some fine choice briskets so look through them and pick the best ones. I’m cooking my first wagyu brisket this weekend (have done plenty of choice, prime and a couple black angus) but I’ve had a good amount of wagyu in other cuts and it’s always special.

Not sure if I would cook a wagyu as my first one but another way of looking at it is it will be more forgiving and harder to screw up. All that extra fat will work in your favor provided you don’t undercook it!

Where's that butcher shop located? I'm always driving to Raleigh for Restaurant Depot, so I wouldn't mind making a detour for some SRF Wagyu from time to time.

Here's my thoughts on this : Choice is my go to when it comes to beef because it's affordable and it has enough fat to keep the meat nice and juicy. I think Choice is the perfect quality of meat for learning as well...and especially so when it comes to brisket. If you haven't gotten a solid feel for brisket at this point in time then I wouldn't spend $10/Lb on Wagyu.

This being said if you're stubborn (like me) and you're going to pick up a Wagyu anyways, have fun with it. Wagyu has a ton of fat you won't see in a Choice cut of meat, so just make sure to cook it until all that fat has rendered out...otherwise you'll have an odd texture where the meat is tender but it's still encased by chewy fat. I take all my Wagyu briskets to at least 208° internal temp to ensure the internal fats have all melted. Often I hit 211° or 212° before I pull Wagyu briskets off the smoker and they always come out amazing. There is a bit of a different taste with Wagyu with it being more "buttery" flavored...tough to describe but it's delicious.

Back