Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Chattahoochee River BBQ Competition

J&B'sBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Who's going? We signed up this week.

This is a first year event, and it coincides with a large music festival. They need a few more teams to make this a qualifier, and with it being within a few weeks of the cut off for the Jack, it would be a great last minute contest for teams trying to land a qualifier.

Chattahoochee River BBQ Competition
Douglasville, GA
July 24 - 25, 2015
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

KCBS Reps: JULIE COOK, RUSTY COOK
Contest Number: 5860

Contact Information:
Jason Benson
Phone: 770-826-7353
info@crcmf.com

https://www.facebook.com/crcmf?fref=ts

This one's something of a mystery. Last time I asked about the event, nobody knew anything about it, including the assigned Reps.

Because it's part of a big country music festival, the gate price will be too high for casual observers, so please give us a detailed report on what it was like to cook this event.

-GF

Wanted to do this one because it is so close, but doing a cookout for my dad's bday that weekend. I will be interested to see how the BBQ Comp is handled knowing it is at what looks to be a really big music festival. I shall also be interested to see how it goes :-D. Get that first GC!

Venue change? Web site says it moved to Carrollton instead of Hiram/Douglasville.

BV

Venue change? Web site says it moved to Carrollton instead of Hiram/Douglasville.

BV

According to their Facebook page, the venue has changed and now entry is free but only if you pre-register at http://www.crcmf.com/

EDIT: I just spoke with Tim Thomas, who is listed as the BBQ contest contact. Apparently there is a contract dispute with the original venue that forced the change to the Carrollton Fairgrounds. He said there is a meeting with the event promoter tomorrow. When I learn more I will pass the info along. Tim is a good guy and experienced cook, so hopefully they can work things out at the new location.

Last edited:
They called the teams today to let them know about the venue change, and verify contact information. I didn't think to ask at the time why the change (thanks Gowan for investigating), but the lady they had calling was not knowledgeable in her BBQ information.

The main reasons we signed up for this is because it is closer than Maggie Valley, and we know Tim is a true BBQ guy, and we are in good hands.

I just hope at this point they get the minimum teams for it to be a qualifier...

Rusty is planning to attend the meeting tomorrow. We'll do anything we can to make sure everything is ready for team arrival and judging. We'll be there early Friday morning to distribute boxes and inspect meat. I'll know more tomorrow after the meeting. Tim told me that there are around 20 teams that have registered. Again, we'll know more after tomorrow.

Julie

According to their Facebook page, the venue has changed and now entry is free but only if you pre-register at http://www.crcmf.com/

EDIT: I just spoke with Tim Thomas, who is listed as the BBQ contest contact. Apparently there is a contract dispute with the original venue that forced the change to the Carrollton Fairgrounds. He said there is a meeting with the event promoter tomorrow. When I learn more I will pass the info along. Tim is a good guy and experienced cook, so hopefully they can work things out at the new location.

Thanks Gowan! I was slammed yesterday and didn't get to call the woman back who was notifying us of the change. I'll be honest it does concern me that its moving so late in the game. I'm sure Tim will get it sorted though

Rusty is planning to attend the meeting tomorrow. We'll do anything we can to make sure everything is ready for team arrival and judging. We'll be there early Friday morning to distribute boxes and inspect meat. I'll know more tomorrow after the meeting. Tim told me that there are around 20 teams that have registered. Again, we'll know more after tomorrow.

Julie

Thank you for being so awesome!!! It's good to hear there are closer to 20 teams because the lady Ispoke with said 12-13...but she also called it the "KCB" contest... :doh: :mrgreen:

Tim said he thinks everything is on track, though he must work on Friday. If anyone would like to help out with checking in teams and such, you should give him a call to volunteer. Number is on the event website here: http://www.crcmf.com/#!bbq/c1jy0

I was going to send in our application this morning but when I went to the site I was not sure it was even going to happen. Does anyone know how this event is going to work?

The website promotes a party till 2 AM with people camping on-site.

How close will the campers be to the cook teams and how how much of that noise will affect us?

I know, I know I sound like an old man.......

I was going to send in our application this morning but when I went to the site I was not sure it was even going to happen. Does anyone know how this event is going to work?

The website promotes a party till 2 AM with people camping on-site.

How close will the campers be to the cook teams and how how much of that noise will affect us?

I know, I know I sound like an old man.......

I am sure that there will be plenty of partying and that sort of thing. I am assuming something like the Thomaston FBA contest.

Ya'll crack me up! that's a bit far, even for this roadwarrior, I mapped it out, its still 270 miles to the nearest family, then another 500 or so to my house......

I'll be watchin, see how it goes, good luck to everyone there

I remember the first year Euharlee was sanctioned by KCBS - lots of guys showed up thinking they would sneak in under the radar and win an easy Jack qualifier.

One of them told me they were planning on just that, until they looked around the cooks meeting and realized half the field were ringers counting on exactly the same thing! If I didn't have Dillard the following weekend I'd be in this one for sure. Take the gamble folks - it could be a lot of fun.

Back