How to get the most out of your charcoal...plus Mushroom & Swiss Burgers!

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
With being so many ways to do the minion method and so many ways to re burn partial I thought i'd show how i do mine. It seems like this last cook used basically nothing and i cooked 300* for probably an hour.

I started by shaking out the charcoal basket from the prior cook. Then I piled it up along the edge of the basket as high as it would stack. FWIW this cooker is my Jimmy "Jamie" very similar in size to the WSM 18"

Next fill the remainder area with fresh briquettes. Normally i use lump for small cooks but i had an open bag of Kingsford Blue.

Light just edge of the basket with a torch, you can use a Weber cube but the torch works well for me.

Ok on to dinner. I saw pretzel buns at the store and mushroom swiss burgers sounded way good.

Four 95% patties with the mushroom sauce in a cast iron pan below.

TBS going... It doesn't take long to get good smoke lighting the pre burnt.

Here's the burgers before searing. Notice the smoke ring. :smile:

Got the sauce nice thick and ready for the burgers! A little corn starch and water works great.

On to the sear and swiss cheese!

The money shot with homemade fries Thanks for looking!

Ok here is the before and after to show how little fuel was used for this cook.

Before and after the cook and sear.

OBTW you gotta let the burgers flavor the pan below whether it be baked beans or in this case mushroom sauce.... soooooooo GOOD!!!

Man that looks awesome. My burgers tonight didnt look near a good as this.

Thanks for showing your approach. I mostly use the snake method on my OTG with great success. I have not mastered the minion method yet. But I will.

Thanks for showing your approach. I mostly use the snake method on my OTG with great success. I have not mastered the minion method yet. But I will.

A kettle would be a different approach for sure. This is a way that works well with a UDS, WSM or similar smoker.

Keep the air in front of the small fire of partial burnt from the last cook and use that up first before it goes on to the new.

This cook was a good example of maximizing my fuel from the last cook, you can see none of the new was even used. Saves lots of money in charcoal and get good burns.

Great looking burgers! Mushrooms and all. I'm a sucker for a mushroom swiss burger myself.

Got a couple quick questions about Jamie. What brand stock pot did you use? Were you able to get them temps to settle down? I read in your build thread that the stainless steel made your temps higher than expected.
Also, isn't the jumbo joe the same size as the 18.5 inch kettle? So in theory you could do the same thing with the 18.5 OTS? The reason I'm asking is because it seems I've seen those all over Craigslist. Thanks!

I'll have one minus the shrooms, please! :thumb:

Great looking burgers! Mushrooms and all. I'm a sucker for a mushroom swiss burger myself.

Got a couple quick questions about Jamie. What brand stock pot did you use? It's a Concord 80 qt. Were you able to get them temps to settle down? I read in your build thread that the stainless steel made your temps higher than expected. Oh yea the temps are great and steady as can be! Initially the stainless needs to get black and cover the shininess.
Also, isn't the jumbo joe the same size as the 18.5 inch kettle? I think so but i'll take measurements if you want. Just let me know So in theory you could do the same thing with the 18.5 OTS? The reason I'm asking is because it seems I've seen those all over Craigslist. Thanks!

Yea if you cut the legs down on the kettle it just might work.

Awesome! Thanks. I was hoping the concord brand was the one. It's the cheapest I saw and it was still $100. I may just have to build one. Don't wanna spend $300 for a wsm and I can't find one close enough on Craigslist. I'll definitely be asking more questions if I decide to duplicate your build.

Thanks again!

Awesome! Thanks. I was hoping the concord brand was the one. It's the cheapest I saw and it was still $100. I may just have to build one. Don't wanna spend $300 for a wsm and I can't find one close enough on Craigslist. I'll definitely be asking more questions if I decide to duplicate your build.

Thanks again!

If you find a good deal on a jumbo joe go that route because the bottom vent air vent is very nice to have. It makes searing better and gets things hot faster. Look for deals after Summer.

If you find a good deal on a jumbo joe go that route because the bottom vent air vent is very nice to have. It makes searing better and gets things hot faster. Look for deals after Summer.

Is it different than the vent on the OTS?

sorry I feel like I took your cook tread off topic :-?

Is it different than the vent on the OTS?

sorry I feel like I took your cook tread off topic :-?

Oh no problem on the OT... I was brain dead, yes it's pretty much the same I don't know what i was thinking. lol It measures real close to 17 3/4" inside ...side to side.

So, would it be wrong of me to ask just for the mushrooms and gravy? I'll grab a loaf of French Bread and just go to town...

BTW, I meant the whole pan... :wink:

Burgers without Green Chiles??? Felony in the first degree!!

Looks great-cool photos.

Back