Special Project for a Friend!

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Got a call from a buddy of mine on Monday morning asking if I wanted his Dad's old grill? His dad passed away five years ago. He was at his Mom's house cleaning up the yard and the grill was one of the items to be hauled off. They just simply didn't use it anymore. I could tell he didn't want to haul it off and with all the other smokers and grills he has at home, he couldn't keep it either.
I also don't need another grill and I don't have the room for it either. I think another factor was that he just doesn't have the time to work on it as well.
So I got an idea.....fix it up and give it back to him as a gift. The truth is, this grill NEEDS to be in his backyard, not mine.
Originally, it was cemented into the ground, so I cut off about 2ft worth of the legs and will put a new steel base on it so that he can move it around. I refinished the wooden shelf and the handles that go on the coal tray.
I also wanted to personalize it a little bit. His dad worked for Hanley Paint, hence the paint stick. I added his name, where he was born, his high school, GMC since he was a die hard GMC truck guy and will add US Navy '56 -'62. This will get bolted to the front of the wood shelf. It will get a fresh coat of paint and some clear coat. His dad was also a good golfer. I'm going to add some golf tees to the shelf so that he can hang stuff from em.
His dad had this grill built a very long time ago. Even if my friend never uses it, at least it will be at his house and can be a conversation piece!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 604
Bob that is awesome!! I'm proud to call you my Brother. :wink:

Takes a good hearted person to do as ur doing .. Not to many good ppl out there anymore.. Good job can't wait to see the turnout an hear about ur friends reaction

Man that is a great thing you are doing, he will think of his dad every time he fires her up!! great work, can't wait to see the finish product.

Back