• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tough brisket question

jks1911

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have a question for the brethren. I have a new pit maker vault and I am having trouble getting my brisket tender. I have tried leaving the fat on and cutting it off. Wrapping in foil and no wrap at all. I am cooking at 250 for six hours and it is still tough to chew. I am using the same rub that I have used for years with my old stick burner type pit. Thanks for reading this and helping.

Try 275 for 4 hrs, wrap in butcher paper or foil, and then check it in 2 hrs to see if it's probe tender. If not, keep trying every 30 minutes. Once that probe slides into the thickest part of the flat with no resistance take it off the smoker and let it rest for an hour.

I don't know what size brisket you are cooking, if it is a 12-14 pound packer I would think that it is under done at 6 hours/250 deg.

Six hours at 250 isn't long enough. Keep the brisket on the pit until it probes like butter in the thickest part of the flat which is just under where the point starts. You may want to start probing for tenderness at an internal temperature of 198 to 200. It may be 205 or higher before it's done but the temp will give you a rule of thumb. Always go by how it probes, not by time or temp for doneness!!!:wink:

No worries, BBQ Brohemus. I'll be the first, but everyone here will tell you to cook that baby longer! If you are cooking at 250 (and depending on the size of your brisket) you'll need a LONG time. If you are familiar with the term "probe tender," it's when your thermometer(that's what she said) will slide into the brisket like "buttah." Some BBQers will give you certain temps, times, etc to follow, but most here will tell you that it's "done when it's done." When you are dealing with brisket, pork shoulder and a few others, your general rule of done-ness is the probe test rather than the temp/time test. You need ALL of those wonderful, gooey fibers to melt! Definitely give it another whirl and plan for a ton of time. (Also, hit up BluDawg, he'll steer (get it) you straight. Good luck and keep us posted!

Go 300*. Was 250* in your stick burner really 250* - measured at grate next to Brisket with a Decent thermometer? If it was your basic stick burner with gauge up high dead center of door you were probally actually cooking at higher temps...........:wink:

Tough = Undercooked or Way overcooked

Crumbling When Sliced = OverCooked or so I've heard.......

I cook at 250 until to color which is around 170 degrees. This takes ME AND MY COOKER 3-3.5 hours. Foil.

Take until probe like butter.

This usually takes me a total cook time of ~7 hours. Keep in mind that times will be different on every cooker or every style of cooker. Mine was done on a Backwoods... so should be similar to your Vault.

20130914_145115.jpg

Like a few have already mentioned, cook it longer. Not sure what the weight of your brisket is. GL

I have a question for the brethren. I have a new pit maker vault and I am having trouble getting my brisket tender. I have tried leaving the fat on and cutting it off. Wrapping in foil and no wrap at all. I am cooking at 250 for six hours and it is still tough to chew. I am using the same rub that I have used for years with my old stick burner type pit. Thanks for reading this and helping.
BBQ RULES for SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest area on the flat
, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

BBQ RULES for SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest area on the flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

mw4k6c.gif

Yes I'm still here. Just being quiet and learning. I have no idea the weight on my past briskets. But from now on I will stay in the 12 pound range. On my old stick burner I never even checked the temps. I just filled up the fire box a couple times and the brisket was tender backyard bbq brisket. Now I am trying for comp. bbq so I know I need a little tug but not the tough stuff I fixed the last couple times. I know now to wrap and cook longer. Test it till the probe slides out like butter. I will be cooking in a cook off for the first time this weekend. Thanks for all the advise. Now I just need help cooking the beans and coming up with something for the specialty category.

Back