Stuffed Babi Guling on the Firepit spit

Have never heard of Babi Guling and now know EXACTLY what I've been missing. :hungry:

Great cook Shagdog!! You may want to spritz with coconut water next time, cause the balinese brushes the skin with it as they cook.

Al, here are my pics from when I had some babi guling in bali back in 2011:

This is the famous Anthony Bourdain's favourite pork dish he's ever had spot:
Ibu (Mrs) Oka in Ubud, Bali
4ee1f5c7aaa31621d877c31dae11ecbc.jpg

Heaven on a plate
58d772a13e517db7d71703fc95f9c2a1.jpg

I'm feeling a nap coming like that dog
e42860fc4182aa76256958225a9f8134.jpg

Thanks everyone. Ate it for lunch yesterday and plan on having it again today. So farking good!

@ Grimm, you can dial back the peppers and it still rocks, but even with all the peppers I threw at it, the slices are not overly hot, just tons of flavor. Its a completely different flavor than about anything else pork I've tasted.. Just don't start eating big chunks of bark, that'll light ya up!

Thanks for posting that, Haniel! I'll try that next time. That plate looks amazing

What a great post! Love the fire pit setup, the paste, and the idea of meat stuffed meat. Very nicely done - that really does look delicious.

Looks great, how much of the ginger comes through?

Thanks Dawg!

Considering how much you put in, not a lot. Its a great recipe in that when you taste it, you couldn't say, "I taste ginger," or "I taste lemongrass" Its a flavor all its own. Spicy, savory, a little tart, and very unique. I have yet to find some fresh galangal, which I really wish I could. You'd dig it, its good and spicy. The crust that comes from the paste mixed with pork fat is worth the price of admission alone.. So farking good!

My mouth is watering. Now I'm gonna have to build a find a way to get a rotisserie attached to my kamado, or wuss out and do it on my gasser with a basket of wood chips. Thanks for the post. I've never even heard of Babi Guling, when I first saw your post I just figured you'd had a massive stroke while typing. What internal temp do you cook to? 165ish?

I've never even heard of Babi Guling, when I first saw your post I just figured you'd had a massive stroke while typing.

:laugh:

What temp? 165?

Its a shoulder so its really forgiving. I've pulled at 165, yum. If you have time, I think its even better around 190-195. This one was pulled around 175 as we all just gave up and wanted to eat, but in general the longer you go the better it is IMO

looks farkin' fantastic!....love the pit set up with the rotis...how did you rig it up?

Back