Best Offset Smoker?

Gunman9

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well I currently have a CookShack SM025 and a custom built offset barrel smoker. I'm wanting something new.... well be cause I can lol so what would be a nice option for a new offset smoker? I love the CookShack because you don't have to watch the temp or manage the wood, but I still don't think it does the same as an offset for texture and flavor. Any suggestions would be great.

Jambo, without a doubt, or a clone.

Lots of people around here like Shirleys but check out Jambo and Lang too. Can't go wrong with any of them.

so what would be a nice option for a new offset smoker? Any suggestions would be great.

Your question covers an awful lot of territory. Let's begin by answering two questions.

1. How much are you prepared to spend, and
2. Do you want to go with a reverse flow design, or a traditional design with tuning plates.

Once these questions are answered, your quest for an offset smoker can begin in earnest.

And "best" is a matter of opinion. You'll get a lot of different "best" smokers...

I love the look and quality of Shirley Fabrication, I have cooked on and lusted after a Klose for years now, seen and eaten a lot of good food off of Langs, and have played with a Gator and thought it was outstanding.

So many options out there in the high end range. However, with some effort and practice, you can turn out great product off of a ECB.

Ya I am looking for something to do Packards and larger cuts of meats on as well as the regular stuff in large quantities. I'm looking to stay under $1500

And "best" is a matter of opinion. You'll get a lot of different "best" smokers...

That is true. Everyone knows that theirs is best.:boxing: You can never go wrong with a Jambo but the lead time is really, really long. Right now I think Shirley Fabrication and LSG are 2 of the hottest custom pit builders out there.

Ya I am looking for something to do Packards and larger cuts of meats on as well as the regular stuff in large quantities. I'm looking to stay under $1500

Packards? Not Edsels? :becky: Darned autocorrect!

How much do you want to cook at a time? There isn't a lot of choice in the under $1500 range that is very big. Maybe something like a Lang 36? Or some of the smokers sold by Academy, but they are serviceable, not in the category of the best.

My vote goes for LSG for best bang for buck, on top of outstanding quality and customer service. I really haven't found one bad thing I can say about LonestarGrillz.

You are right at the edge of where the SF and LSG pits start out at. Don't forget shipping costs because they can be almost as much as the cooker. Ron may be right about looking at something in the 36" range to get you under $1500.

This is such a loaded question. Questions like these are what Google and hours of time were meant for.

This is such a loaded question. Questions like these are what Google and hours of time were meant for.

I have researched and looked around. There are custom builders near me that I could buy from as well. Just didn't know if there was an option I was missing. Looks like my best option would to be buy local or build another one. Just didn't wanna take on another project right now lol

I have researched and looked around. There are custom builders near me that I could buy from as well. Just didn't know if there was an option I was missing. Looks like my best option would to be buy local or build another one. Just didn't wanna take on another project right now lol

Yeah your price point doesn't open up much if you can't find things local.

This is also a question where the combined wisdom of the Brethren shines brightest.

There are a ton of good pit builders named here, but I don't think many of them if any will sell you a pit for under $1500. Another one not mentioned yet is Peoria Cookers. Their base model 24x48 starts at $1750.. If you are trying to stay economical. probably something like an OK Joe is going to be your best bet. When you move into the bigger names/custom pits, you are probably likely to spend at least 2K and that's before shipping, which on a big heavy offset can range from $3-900..

All of the ones mentioned are excellent, but with a budget at $1500 I think you should look at Bell fab in Tulsa, OK. He will make anything that you want and the pricing is a very good value for his quality.

Back