Trashed it all- couldn't be happier

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
About a year ago we tossed every piece of anodized aluminum and non stick pots pans and skillets in our kitchen. Some of the Aluminum was pricy Calphalon. We've now only got stainless steel, cast iron and porcelain enamel cast iron. I love cooking on Griswold- Wagner- Lodge and some unbranded CI --fake La Creusett from Sams and a few actual La Crusette pieces too.

You can read a lot about the pros and cons of non stick and aluminum. For us it was a chance to experience the older is better mentality.

It's fun to cook bacon in a 1940's skillet. Hatch Green Chile bacon of course.

Clean up is a snap and if you use and care for the CI they become as slippery as Vaseline on glass

Last edited:
True story! We're down to one nonstick and that's not getting replaced. Old steel and older iron, a good tradition to hand down.

It would be hard for me to get rid of my Magnalite, much like my cast iron, it is so old and slick. Although I like my cast iron as well

I keep one non-stick for eggs only, but apart from that I don't use them. I assume they have gotten better about not shedding their coating in recent years, but I'd rather not have that stuff find it's way into my system.

I had several pieces from my grandmother and I'm kicking myself to this day for getting rid of them.

A few years ago I bought an eight piece kit by Lodge and we love them, use them all the time. We too have a mix of stainless and ci, and I think each has their place.

When I bought new appliances last year, we bought an induction stove. AL isn't an option for me anymore, so Yes, I am all cast iron, enameled cast iron and SS (magnetic only).

I like it, but it does mean that I have to do my canning on the grill side burner since my waterbath canner and pressure canner are both AL. Not that big of a deal though. I'm always out cooking on the grill anyway.

We did the same thing a few years ago. The old stuff, even no name, seems to be way better than my experience with the new stuff.

As for eggs/pancakes, I have a low profile skillet- no name- that is unbelievably nonstick.

Hot water, wash towel or plastic scrubber for cleanup and a thin coat of flax oil and they are good to go again.

When we got rid of our nonstick stuff we had gas. We now have electric and I don't really like it with cast iron- no specific reason, it just doesn't seem to cook the same.

I keep one non-stick for eggs only, but apart from that I don't use them. I assume they have gotten better about not shedding their coating in recent years, but I'd rather not have that stuff find it's way into my system.

Zwilling Spirit (by J.A. Henckels) stainless-steel ceramic non-stick cookware is newer eco-friendly technology and works very well especially for eggs/omelets but I mostly use stainless-steel and cast iron.

I'm with you. I bought one non-stick pan for eggs, and my wife won't use it because I didn't want her to spray it with non-stick spray. All the other pans are steel or CI.

When I bought new appliances last year, we bought an induction stove. AL isn't an option for me anymore, so Yes, I am all cast iron, enameled cast iron and SS (magnetic only).

I like it, but it does mean that I have to do my canning on the grill side burner since my waterbath canner and pressure canner are both AL. Not that big of a deal though. I'm always out cooking on the grill anyway.

I cook on induction also. Just couldn't bring myself to get rid of the Corning glass ware I use for boiling eggs etc.
Bought a 1/8" x 8" steel circle from eBay that I place over the induction coil and put the glass pots on that.
Works just fine.

I cook on induction also. Just couldn't bring myself to get rid of the Corning glass ware I use for boiling eggs etc.
Bought a 1/8" x 8" steel circle from eBay that I place over the induction coil and put the glass pots on that.
Works just fine.

Yes, I have thought about that steel disk for the AL canning equipment but I just have never gotten around to it.

I have one non-stick T-fal that I also keep around for eggs but I absolutely love stainless steel. I would say the one pan that I probably use the most is a sweet stainless wok that disperses heat so evenly, it's silly. I cook everything in that thing!!

I hear ya Adams!
Nothing beats my old hand-me-down cast iron. I can still taste the love mom and gma put into their meals when they used em.

I love the looks of your bacon n eggs. Comfort food at it's finest! :)

What is this foreign cooking substance you speak of?? CI & SS are what I use Still cookin in Grannys 10" Griswald circa early 1900's

We Dumped all no Stick stuff as Well about 3 years ago and Use Cast all the time ..as Everyone else we have 1 Stainless . Never Will go back .:clap2::clap::becky:

what do you think of the induction stove?

I haven't cooked over gas in 15 years so I won't compare induction to gas, but it is worlds better than regular electric stovetops. I'll never go back.

-Heats up really fast
-exceptional and fast temp control. - you can stop a boiling pot of water immediately by turning the heat down. No waiting like normal electric tops.
-The burners themselves don't create the heat. That means no burnt food on the glass top burners. Very easy to clean. I can put my finger directly on the burner while in use and I'll feel the heat from the pan but not the burner.

Downside- only works with magnetic cookware.

I still have a couple pieces of my non-stick calphalon set I bought when I moved out (about 10 years ago), but after a few years it all started shedding it's nonstick. And this was anodized aluminum that was supposed to be so great (and wasn't exactly cheap).

I still have a few pieces of it around but the only one I really ever use is the small 8" skillet for eggs. I'm with everybody else mentioned here I have Lodge and some older CI pieces. I use all my All Clad stainless, and I have a few LeCreuset enamel coated CI pieces.

I don't know how people cook on that crap non-stick to be honest. You cannot build a fond, you don't get nearly the flavor, and it typically doesn't heat nearly as evenly. Makes no sense to me because it isn't any more work to clean Stainless anyhow...

Back