Bone in shoulder hot n fast

Biloxidman

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a bone in shoulder Saturday that I took out of the freezer this morning and plan on letting thaw in the fridge. Hopefully by Saturday morning it will be thawed. I plan on smoking at 325-350.

The last one I did I put in a pan with a cup of apple juice and foiled until probe tender. Has anyone done this with Dr Pepper?

Watch the sugars at that temp, they will burn. But Dr Pepper pulled pork is common

Just dry wrap in foil drain & de fat the juice & pour it back.

I agree, there will be so much juice in the foil you'll wonder why you even thought about adding soda. Less to mess with while you're wrapping too.

You can use a rub with brown sugar at those temps, but you need to watch it close so the surface doesn't start to char, and you may have to wrap earlier than normal. If it starts to get too dark at all, get it wrapped right away.

If I wrap with foil from the outset to get the juice, wouldn't that stop the bark from forming and inhibit the smoke from penetrating the meat?

Smoke it for 3 hrs & wrap it you'll be fine. Once it's tender open the foil& drain all the juice. Leave the foil open and let it rest for 1 hr .The internal heat will firm up the bark as it rests. De-fat the juices while you wait

Ballpark time on a 10 lb shoulder hot n fast about 6-7 hours? I know it's done when it's done, just wondering.

"The internal heat will firm up the bark as it rests."

So obvious I never thought about it!
Thanks

Here we go.....on the Joe at 10:45 at 325. Rocking along good. Now beer and football! :grin:

6385D8C9-2C05-4492-A56A-82ECBC3E9130_zps8tjhcblj.jpg

2 hours in and looking good.

3B35867A-4C50-40B1-88BE-9D03EC97CE8D_zpspajrhcei.jpg

Plan to wrap at 160.

Came out great! Having trouble with photobucket but will post pics soon.

Back