Props to 270

bbqwizard

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of competing on a 270 Smoker this past weekend at the Royal. First of all, I would like to thank them for allowing me to use one of their cookers.

I cooked on their medium sized unit (sorry, I can't remember the exact name of the size). It's primary use was for cooking ribs and chicken. I had a slab on each tray,, and staggered them throughout. One of the most consistent cookers I have ever experienced! All four racks cooked excatly the same!

When ribs came out, chicken went in. I placed those on the bottom tray, and again, the consistency blew me away.

For anyone that might be looking for a cabinet style, reverse flow cooker that cooks like a dream, then you may want to check out the great folks at 270 Smokers. I only wish that I could have carried it home with me.

Haven't found anyone yet who hasn't loved cooking on a 270. Using mine yet again tomorrow.

For anyone that might be looking for a cabinet style, reverse flow cooker that cooks like a dream, then you may want to check out the great folks at 270 Smokers. I only wish that I could have carried it home with me.

I'm curious on the reverse flow aspect. How are they doing this as the walls on the smoker do not look thick enough for a smoke and heat passage?

I'm curious on the reverse flow aspect. How are they doing this as the walls on the smoker do not look thick enough for a smoke and heat passage?

It isn't reverse flow in the conventional sense as you described -- there is no third wall for a smoke passage. It uses "heated draft" to increase circulation in the cook chamber. The rear wall and chimney are angled in such a way that they are heated directly by the firebox, producing a temperature differential in the chimney that pulls the heat and smoke through the chamber. The increased circulation does two things: 1) even smoke and heat distribution throughout. 2) Turns the cooker into a convection oven with, on average, faster cook times.

The heat chamber is in the back of the smoker. The wall separating the cook chamber and heat chamber is parallel to the front of the cooker. The smoke is routed to the cook chamber at the bottom of the door. The chimney runs along the wall separating the cook chamber and heat chamber. The heat from the charcoal rises to warm the separation wall. This creates a natural draft in the chimney. The smoke travels from the heat chamber to the cook chamber entering at the bottom of the door. It then follows the angle of the door to the top of the cook chamber and down the back wall to the chimney in feed at the bottom of the back wall. They also have a direct vent out of the top of the cook chamber. The cap on the chimney gives you the option of which vent to use.

I had a real good look at one of these a few weeks ago at a comp. The owner had 2 of them and couldn't say enough good things about them.

I had the pleasure of competing on a 270 Smoker this past weekend at the Royal.

This says a lot right here :thumb:

Thanks for the info

I ordered a mini 270 smoker a few days ago. Hope to have it by Oct 15th or so. Will update you when I get it and cook with it.

K

I ordered a mini 270 smoker a few days ago. Hope to have it by Oct 15th or so. Will update you when I get it and cook with it.

K

Kevin, they mentioned that they were shipping one out to Vegas. Congratulations! Through all the rush of the contest, I wish I had gotten a few pics of the meat coming off. Simply unreal consistency.

I am actually eyeballing the 270 quite a bit. They are from VA and the price point is really good. Your testimony of it is swaying me towards them even more.

I had the pleasure of competing on a 270 Smoker this past weekend at the Royal. First of all, I would like to thank them for allowing me to use one of their cookers.

I cooked on their medium sized unit (sorry, I can't remember the exact name of the size). It's primary use was for cooking ribs and chicken. I had a slab on each tray,, and staggered them throughout. One of the most consistent cookers I have ever experienced! All four racks cooked excatly the same!

When ribs came out, chicken went in. I placed those on the bottom tray, and again, the consistency blew me away.

The model you are referring to is the Sumo.

The consistency is the reason I sold my Backwoods and bought two more 270s. Not that Backwoods is a bad cooker, its just that the consistency top-to-bottom, left-to-right, front-to-back is second to none.

It seems as though my abbreviated "how to use" course helped. Glad to hear you liked it.

FWIW, I think the Mini can be officially classified as carry on luggage.

Yep that is me. I can't wait to get it. Ordered the mini. I just needed a bit more space from my UDS.

K

I am very close to ordering the Sumo (even my wife was impressed). Hmmmmm, I have a contest on the 23rd. I wonder if I could have it by then...ha ha

They have a Red one now that looks really awesome.

Word from 270 Headquarters is the red one will be available if the demand is there. The red was a little bright in person, and I would have to agree with the powers that be that a few shades darker would be better. That lone red Sumo is headed to Florida with Bullrush BBQ. It was love at first sight.

I would love it in the same blue as my Assassin. Although that red was pretty nice!

Popdaddy invented the number 270. His estate still gets paid $1.72 every time someone uses that temp to cook brisket ribs. Most of his money however comes from darkers that can't maintain a fire well enough and pass the number 270 going up and down dozens of times during the cook. Now everybody uses the number. I bet he will end up suing the makers of the 270... With his winnings from the PBC case.

Popdaddy invented the number 270. His estate still gets paid $1.72 every time someone uses that temp to cook brisket ribs. Most of his money however comes from darkers that can't maintain a fire well enough and pass the number 270 going up and down dozens of times during the cook. Now everybody uses the number. I bet he will end up suing the makers of the 270... With his winnings from the PBC case.

Um, what?

I'm currently looking at 270 smokers and am wondering about the capacity of the sumo and the mini. I also have my eyes on another but don't want to hijack.

On the 270 smokers Facebook page they have a mini loaded up with 8 racks of baby back ribs. I expect mine by the end of the week and can help more then.

Back