Smoked chicken suggestions

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
In the mood to smoke some chicken on my WSM today. Would love to hear some suggestions for method / or recipes. Moist, juicy, & bite-through skin obviously the goals. Thanks in advance for thoughts.

From my experience, and based on what I have read here from others, it seems most have the best luck going the hot and fast route. Cook temps in the 350-400 range. Personally, I love the yardbird seasoning. Several folks have tried a "slather" of mayo on the bird and say it will produce a great bite through skin, I have not tried it, but others have said it works well. Others have said to prep your bird the day before, pat it dry, leave it in the refer overnight uncovered, and that this process will give a good bite through skin also, again I have not tried that, so can't vouch for it.
I have found that chicken really picks up the smoke, so goo easy on your wood of choice, it doesn't take much for chicken.

Hope this is of some help to ya :-D.

KC

Thank you. Only thing I'm certain of is that Yardbird & pecan will definitely be in play...

Try taking out the water bowl all together and spatchcocking with the skin flipped down halfway through the cook... Guarantee you great chicken!

Love spatchcock chicken Careful with the smoke Poultry takes on smoke quickly and will give a nasty taste I cook my spatchcock at 325-350

Just smoked 3 spatched birds yesterday. Butter under and on the skin with SPOG on both sides of the bird. On the smoker at 300-350* with oak and pear. Done in two hours with good bite-thru skin. Very moist and tender.

Good luck and good smokin', Joe

Spatchcock is the only way to go , I cook mine between280 and 325 degrees and get bite though skin every time .

Last edited:
My favorite method is cold smoke for two hours, then rotisserie or turkey fryer.(oil will take on a smoke flavor)

both methods result in a juicy chicken with a crispy skin.

Alabama white BBQ sauce is a must for smoked chicken. So good...

I never heard of Alabama white sauce and had to google it. Turns out i make it all the time for pulled pork sandwiches and prime rib but we call it Horsey sauce. But instead of straight mayo, we mix 1/2 mayo with 1/2 sour cream and add horseradish and a touch of honey.

Try taking out the water bowl all together and spatchcocking with the skin flipped down halfway through the cook... Guarantee you great chicken!

+1
Whether you spatchcock, split in half, cut into pieces, hang it, cook on the grate....I always go direct over the coals with chicken in the wsm. Direct with some breathing room always works.

Back