Briskets smoking fast

Grebsatv

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi,
Using a GMG Daniel Boone. Ive smoked a few things so far including 2 briskets. These are the first 2 I ever cooked so yeah I'm that new.
Anyways, my first brisket was an 8 pound uncut flat from a really nice butcher place. I like the fact they grow there meat. they say what ever I buy was walking 2 days ago if not sooner. Well that 8 ounder only took 6 hours. temp was set at 225. Once it hit 150 degrees I foil wrapped it and pulled around 201-203. let it sit in a cool for just about 3 hours. taste was really good, Was very tender and was like butter when poking with thermometer.
Turns out the DB was actually running around 245-206. I tested after getting my maverick. Onto my second brisket. this was was an uncut at just under 15 pounds. there really wasn't much to trim so it was going in the smoker still a healthy 14 pounder. Knowing my temps run hot I adjusted my DB to right around 190. 225 was confirmed with the mav after she settled in and so on went the brisket at midnight. About 4 am she was at 155 and climbing. I pulled and wrapped in hd foil and popped her back in.
11 am its at 201. Both the maverick and the DB therm was within a cpl degrees. Pulled it and proceded to dump a lil juice onto my bare leg. That was fun. I cant see anything wrong with it to say its not done. the therms slide in with no resistance and it looks amazing. its in a cooler now for a few hours.
So, both of these are flats. Same butcher. 8 pounder takes 6 hours max. The 14 pounder took 11 hours. What gives? am I doing something wrong and pulling too soon? Is it just that the butcher has amazing and fresh meat?
The 8 pounder when cut pencil wide could be folded over without breaking but could be pulled apart with ease. haven't tried this one yet. Maybe its because I foil? I'm afraid if I don't I will dry it out.

I am having a similar problem. I am almost positive that my pit is cooking hotter than the gauges in the lid indicate.

I cooked a 9 pound brisket today in slightly less than five hours

Both maverick temp probes are within 2 degrees of each other and both within 2 degrees of 212

Odd. On my next cook, I am putting my Maverick probes to read the pit rather than the meat.

Try wrapping in brown unwaxed butcher paper instead. Foil can get your meat too soft if your not careful. The brown paper still lets it breathe. I usually wrap it about midway or when it gets a dark mahogany color and leave it on until its done. Franklin has some youtube vids on this method. Good luck and your brisket looks great!

With that nice smoke ring and obvious moistness it's hard to complain about short cook times. Glad you didn't drop the brisket when you spilt the au jus on your leg.

I use the probes that comes with the daniel boon in the meat and 1 of the mavericks. The other mav probe I use to monitor the grill temp

how was the flavor? I bought a GMG a couple months ago and the smoke flavor just doesn't compare with my WSM. I haven't done a brisket yet on the GMG but I'm going to soon. I too have issues with the temps not being right, I usually put 3 oven thermometers in the GMG and they're all different than what I set the temp to, it's kinda frustrating.

the flavor was pretty good. think ill try a small one and not wrap it and see how that turns out.
I will say that the DB meat probe is right on the money with mine so far.

Back