• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lowest safe temp to smoke uncured meat?

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have some Hungarian sausage I want to smoke, at the advice of our members I decided not to cold smoke since its curing was uncertain. I'm still going to smoke but assuming it has not been cured what is the lowest temperature I can safely smoke them at? Thanks!
David

It is all about the "danger zone". Google that term with food safety in it.

Sausage comes up to temp relatively quickly compared to larger meats so you should be safe relatively low.

I might would shoot for 220 or so if I were to try and stay extra low. You should be plenty safe from fridge to safe temps zone.

Que Kenny Loggins joke now.

The "danger zone" is for the food service industry, women and small children.:laugh:

I've eaten 3 day old pizza stored on the counter. My cat has eaten 3 day old birds stored in the gargage.

Ground meat and sausage, safe serving temperature as per the USDA website is 165°.

I would say for cooking temperature you should be about 225 -250°, that will help to impart some smoke flavor, without overpowering the flavor of sausage itself.

I wouldn't go below 225, keep it til IT reads 160... pull and cover for 15mins... it. Will come up to temp then serve... juiciest links ever

In the commercial sausage business we would bring uncured sausage rapidly up to 220 and hold it there for an hour. Then down to 180 for the remainder of the smoke.

Ive smoked in the past italian sausages @ 190/200 up to 150 IT. Then moved to beer bath to finish. I'm still here!!!!

Que Kenny Loggins joke now.

The "danger zone" is for the food service industry, women and small children.:laugh:

I've eaten 3 day old pizza stored on the counter. My cat has eaten 3 day old birds stored in the gargage.

LOL I'm with you, I've eaten things that would make a billy goat puke and I'm still sucking air! I always liked when I'd have a week old hamburger or the likes of and the wife would say don't feed that to the dog it will make it sick!, and she is talking about the same dog that will eat dead raccoon carcass that has been ripened in 90 degree weather for 3 days!

Back