Prime rib on this grill

jsperk

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Going to beach house tomorrow. My friend is already at the house and texted me pics of a gas grill and this charcoal grill pictured. He bought rib roast. I usually do on my kettle rotisserie.

Should I try and use my kettle ring and rotisserie on this or just cook it indirect on the open charcoal grill?

Last edited:
I think given the options and i couldn't bring my drum or build one there I would do rotisserie. Your at the beach anyway. It will be good. I'd get some of the biggest freshest prawns at the local dock to go with it!!!

Cut the rib roast into very thick ribeyes and cook high heat. You will not be able to roast a rib roast properly on that grill.

Last edited:
The smart thing is to take you kettle.

I would take the ring and rotisserie unit and take a chance that I could make it work. It would be an adventure.

Steak up that ribeye
Less chance to ruin EVERYone's meal!
Faster, tastier, more rub all around.
I tried a full tenderloin once, should have steaked it out.

Thanks for all the input. I will get some pics of I try to spin it on this grill.

I don't have room for my kettle in my car but the ring does fit. We planned on spinning a roast one day and cutting some steaks up for another day. He got a 15 pound boneless roast.

I may go for the adventure like Landarc mentioned and see if I can make it work. I really love using the rotisserie.

I emailed the people who rent the beach house and asked what type of charcoal grill and they it was a weber kettle. Guess they don't know what a weber kettle is.

Steak up that ribeye
Less chance to ruin EVERYone's meal!
Faster, tastier, more rub all around.
I tried a full tenderloin once, should have steaked it out.

Use your imagination, adapt and over come, go for it you are at the beach.:clap2:

You ever see those Auspit cooks Johhny Rotisserie did on here, he cooks on a rotisserie over open fires. If you can get the ring stable enough, I can't see why it would not work. A matter of whether gambling with a Prime Rib is reasonable to you

You ever see those Auspit cooks Johhny Rotisserie did on here, he cooks on a rotisserie over open fires. If you can get the ring stable enough, I can't see why it would not work. A matter of whether gambling with a Prime Rib is reasonable to you

No but I will use the search box and check. I did Google and saw the bbq pit boys used a roti and just hot wood ambers on the ground. I'm figuring if I get a decent hot fire and the meat is spinning all will be good.

I will ask everyone else if they want me to try it. Should be fun to try.

Challenging but doable I'd say, maybe take a bunch of foil and see if you can't "corral" some of that heat fron the pictured pit. And as Landarc said, if you can get that ring stable, it would work.

Let us know how it works out:clap2:.

KC

Did I read correctly, he has a gasser? I say go indirect on the gasser then reverse sear on the grill.

Did I read correctly, he has a gasser? I say go indirect on the gasser then reverse sear on the grill.

Rather than trying to MacGyver something on that park grill and ruining an expensive cut of meat I would go indirect on the gasser and make a foil pouch with some wood chips to get a little smoke flavor.

I didn't realize you had a gasser too.

Truss it and put on rack. Then reverse sear it on the charcoal grill. A wood packet would be perfect on the gasser because you really don't want a lot smoke you prime rib anyway.

Go check meatheads recipe on amazingribs.com. I believe he has a step by step for prime rib on a gasser.

Couldn't they have put that thing closer to the house? Geesh..... :rolleyes:

Back